Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Hunting Accident Caught on Video >

Hunting Accident Caught on Video

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Hunting Accident Caught on Video

Old 05-02-2017, 03:59 PM
Spike

Default Hunting Accident Caught on Video

Not something you want to see happen, but I'll tell you what, some of the comments I seen floating around Facebook about the situation was down right nuts...

Old 05-02-2017, 11:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

You said there was a fan there and that it was laying on the ground... you never said if you guys were fanning before the shot??? Just the fact that you guys had a fan with you tells me that you guys were planing on "fanning" your trophy "wild turkey" in... that to me is stupidity!!! And that is what can happen when you do that... when I first started turkey hunting all you heard was don't wear white red blue... now idiots at putting fans and whole mounted turkeys in front of there faces... that to me is more stupid than what the shooter did!!! You "turkey hunters" might want to think a little more about your shooting technique... is being able to go on a forum and brag about your kill really that important???
Old 05-03-2017, 05:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

decoys Fans, or??
yes they can INCREASE your odds of being shot at or towards
BUT there still is NO getting past,m rule number one is be SURE of your TARGET before pulling the trigger,
and the shooter here broke that rule,
shooting at a FAN, is NOT a safe way to go about shooting at a turkey, thats like just shooting at an animal and NOT aiming for a vital!
guess you's got lucky he wasn't shooting an arrow??

BUT< MY question would sort of be, HOW did another hunter sneak in on 3 guys ?? 50 yards away and NONE of you's know it??

I mean I been hunting a LONG time and never had a guy get that close to me without me knowing it first??
all the more so, 3 of you's??

another reason NOT a bad idea to place some hunter orange near your set up, like when using ground blinds and such?? required to do in many places to, because of safety it adds to things

I've never had a turkey scare away due to orange in 30+ yrs of hunting them, movement and noise seems to be there defense IMO< over color

glad injuries were now worse then they were, could have been worse when things like this happn

and LAST,
I have read several times now, MORE hunters are shot in turkey season that other hunting seasons??
crazy, as I am YET to see a person that looked like a turkey in all my yrs? NOT even close in my eyes??
OLD saying to live by maybe
" SAFETY FIRST!"
NO critter is worth shooting a person over, be 100% sure of your targets folks and what's behind them too!
Old 05-03-2017, 05:51 AM
Spike

Glad they outlawed all but bow and shotgun on public land in Florida

If that guy's using a 243, I would assume he had a scope. If he had a scope, how could he not tell what he was looking at??? You can't pray and spray with a rifle and expect to hit a small target on a turkey.
Old 05-03-2017, 06:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think the video here and OP should add more info, maybe a link to original. Don't get me wrong this video is not bad but there is certainly more to the story from what I have read and heard. I know that is not what this video of the incident is about but the original video description stated the shooter was shooting through them at two turkeys.

The guys that got shot, where shot by another from their group (brother of one actually) that was obviously not following safety rules, and also must be very stealthy.
Old 05-03-2017, 06:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Also are you sure it was a 243?, even the Sheriff said it was a single shot from a 12 gauge and hit two of them but one more directly. I am only asking because it already seems like multiple versions have been coming forward so far of what actually happened.
Old 05-10-2017, 06:28 AM
Spike

The original video shows nothing more than this one does. Just the hunters sitting there for 2 minutes before the shot. I saved you two minutes then slowed it down during the shot so you could see a little better.

This wasn't my guys thankfully on this hunt. I cannot speculate their intent with the fan, but I'll tell you right now that where I hunt, I'm pretty confident on knowing which property I can use it on, and which I'm better off leaving it in the truck. All of the public I hunt, it stays in the truck PERIOD. But some of the private I hunt where I can see a very long ways, I'll use mine. I've used it to stalk across several hundred acres of wide open ground to get a shot on a bird that wouldn't come in because of the piles of hens with him. Thick hardwoods though... It's staying in the truck. Just have to use better judgement when using them. Some people call them a lazy tool, but then what does that say about your decoys? They are just another tool and nothing more in my opinion, but one you have to know if you're in a safe place to use or not.