Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

What strategy to take.

Old 04-30-2017, 06:59 AM
Spike

Default What strategy to take.

Ok, so I'll be able to get out one more day of my season. On public ground, yesterday was full of pressure. I've seen hened up toms fly down to an open field the past two days. Try setting up to where the were going to exit but no luck getting within range, and I know I didn't spook them. As I sat yesterday, they were nowhere to be found, I saw some guys in blinds with dekes, so I am assuming the birds felt the pressure.

I've also found some gobblers on the roost in two different locations with an owl call. The birds won't respond to calls, I've haven't heard a gobble after fly down. I am assuming they are on the food hunt, not interested in calls, or just know to avoid them. I've heard others guys doing cuts, purrs and clucks, still no gobbles. I can't figure out what my best bet would be, if I should return to the field or get into woods again. The weather has been terrible, cold rainy and windy. The weather looks better the day I can go out. I can't say I've been disappointed, this is my first turkey hunt and I've learned about the birds. It's been fun and exciting.
Old 04-30-2017, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm assuming the guys that you seen in the blinds were on the field you were hunting? I don't know if this field is very large and can support numerous hunters but I personally avoid other hunters/pressure. You said you located a few other toms with your owl call. Are they well away from this pressured field? I'm a very conservative turkey Hunter. I like to get in areas that have good sign and set up. I don't do a lot of calling unless another hen is interacting with me. That being said, if I had other options then the pressured field I would head there. If it's windy and rainy, that would probably alter my plans.
We pretty much only hunt public land so I understand your situation. Lol. Be safe and enjoy your time in the woods. Even if you don't score a tom, you will be gathering info to be recalled on a future spring hunt.
Ray
Old 04-30-2017, 08:35 AM
Spike

The field is very large, I was at the other end. I think, ill try to set up near the ridge where I located the one of the other birds.Its been very interesting, and really exciting. Thanks for the input.
Old 04-30-2017, 09:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

I feel fairly confident based on the information you have provided that the birds in that area ARE feeling the pressure !

#1 Scout the area where you have heard those Toms - FIND their roost tree (look near any good water source).

#2 Get in early AM and don't crowd the roost tree - set up in good cover +/-100 yards away along their travel path to water, strutting area, dusting area or food source (hopefully you determined that by scouting the roost area & their fly down area).

#3 Expect them to head in the opposite direction of those hunters who are calling all the time (Listen to RPD63 - call infrequently & softly, particularly if you hear them - they may even be decoy shy by now (at this time of year, often a single hen is best).

#4 You can't shoot them from your couch (LOL) ............................. be there early and stay late - Remain positive & Good luck !!!

Last edited by Sheridan; 04-30-2017 at 09:58 AM.
Old 04-30-2017, 01:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you aren't staying out from the middle of the morning until at least the middle of the afternoon I'd do so. Most of the birds I shoot are taken during that time frame after the hens leave the Toms and then the Toms go looking to breed other hens they might find. I call sparingly and only about once every 15 to 20 minutes and then just watch closely for a bird slipping in without sounding off to even let me know he's in the area.
Old 04-30-2017, 05:05 PM
Spike

Every time I went out, its been from legal start time to legal end time. I didn't get out today because there was a thunder storms and lighting. I am not afraid of getting wet, I got soaked two days straight, just I wasn't going to risk the wind, seen fresh down trees from the weather. I will admit that when it was raining being out there was better, less pressure and more bird movement. It's been fun regardless.
Old 04-30-2017, 07:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Conquistador
It's been fun regardless.

I think you've got it then......................... !!!
Old 05-01-2017, 01:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Keep your eye on the weather. Rain can be your friend. If you can get find a clear trail where they don't have to walk through wet grass, you might have a chance to get ahead of them.

Instead of calling, try scratching in the leaves.
Old 05-03-2017, 11:20 AM
Typical Buck

Not responding to calls here either, use locater calls to find em and set up in their path, set out decoys where you know they travel, they are still coming into decoys but only if your not calling. Set up close enough to the roost so when they fly down they are in range. Good luck