HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What strategy to take.
View Single Post
Old 04-30-2017, 06:59 AM
Conquistador
Spike

Default What strategy to take.

Ok, so I'll be able to get out one more day of my season. On public ground, yesterday was full of pressure. I've seen hened up toms fly down to an open field the past two days. Try setting up to where the were going to exit but no luck getting within range, and I know I didn't spook them. As I sat yesterday, they were nowhere to be found, I saw some guys in blinds with dekes, so I am assuming the birds felt the pressure.

I've also found some gobblers on the roost in two different locations with an owl call. The birds won't respond to calls, I've haven't heard a gobble after fly down. I am assuming they are on the food hunt, not interested in calls, or just know to avoid them. I've heard others guys doing cuts, purrs and clucks, still no gobbles. I can't figure out what my best bet would be, if I should return to the field or get into woods again. The weather has been terrible, cold rainy and windy. The weather looks better the day I can go out. I can't say I've been disappointed, this is my first turkey hunt and I've learned about the birds. It's been fun and exciting.