Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
What shells should I use with a Benelli 12 gauge? >

What shells should I use with a Benelli 12 gauge?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

What shells should I use with a Benelli 12 gauge?

Old 04-05-2017, 05:18 AM
Spike

Default What shells should I use with a Benelli 12 gauge?

I just bought a Benelli Nova 12 gauge pump...I was hoping somebody would tell me a good 3.5 inch shell to use for turkey hunting so that I don't have to go out and spend $150 testing patterns.

Also, I was thinking that I was going to use full choke, but you can't use steel shot with full choke...so idk.

I was never able to hunt in the Spring always having been a baseball player, so I'm somewhat new to turkey hunting. Thanks!
Old 04-05-2017, 05:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

The only way to know which shells are best for your gun is to take some out and pattern the shells with various chokes if you have screw in choke tubes. The pattern board is how you will know which loads are best in your gun. Some things in life don't come with short cuts. There are plenty of lead shot loads made for turkey hunting, why use steel.
Old 04-05-2017, 06:12 AM
Dominant Buck

I understand why you would want to eliminate going through the patterning process both from a time and financial perspective. IMO I am glad I did because it gave me an intimate understanding of my shotguns limits and capability. In the end after using different Federal and then Winchester turkey loads with good success, I tried out Heavy Shot Heavy Metal blend in 3 1/2. Very expensive but since I only hunt Vermont and am limited to 2 spring turkeys the potential is to not shoot too many times while hunting. Every couple of years I buy a new box of 5 and replace as needed. I found that load coupled with a custom full choke my Benelli SBE reaches out with devastating results on turkey. The results I got from both Federal and Winchester were good and I always settled on #5 shot. In reality the Hevi Metal Blend is actually over kill but that load gives me the most confidence and is what I like to use. I kind of think along the line of that $1400 Benelli could be replaced by a $500 Mossburg that would probably work just as well but it is what I choose to hunt with. My 2 cents worth. Good luck with the hunt and welcome to HNI.
Old 04-05-2017, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have the same gun and I run 3 in Hevi Shot Magblend. I'm using the Primos Jellyhead choke. I'm very satisfied with the results. Turkeys don't like the results though.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

The choke you use will have a big impact on pattern performance. What I'm about to type could be fighting words...but...

The choke tube has a bigger effect on your pattern than the gun you use.
Old 04-06-2017, 05:29 AM
Spike

I've shot a couple different loads with good results

This season I've been shooting some kind of Remington nitro 3.5"

Benelli Super Nova, Benelli modified choke. Good to a shade under 45 yards. Full choke splashed the pattern a bit and if you weren't DEAD ON it could have been a miss especailly inside of 25 yards.

If you are hunting open ground, I'd suggest a full choke.

I can check the specific kind of nitro and get back to you. Still, patterning a gun is a great idea, even if you just start w/ a couple suggested loads

The bird I got was ~38 yards in old growth timber with a bit of grass/brush. One bb in the breast, didn't even draw blood, I counted a good 8 holes the head and upper neck, including a couple that had to have about 3 pellets (one right behind the eye). Not including pellets in the feathery part of the neck. Bird didn't even flop.
Old 07-15-2017, 07:05 PM
Spike

I would suggest trying the Hevishot Magnum Blends with your Benelli