Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Gobbler shaker call

Old 03-28-2017, 07:07 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Bob H in NH
When would you use a gobble call?
I use my gobbler call on private land. I'm on a ranch with no other hunters and the huge ranch next door doesn't hunt turkeys. Both ranches get patrolled by owners/agents and the local game warden cruises the main public road for poachers. This makes it a nice hunting experience with no other hunting pressure from humans. Now the lions, bobcats and coyotes are another story but the cattle ranchers are very happy whenever I bust a yote which is basically anytime I see one.

This topic has been a great one since my gobbler call from last year bit the dust. I'm trying out a Primos and HS Strut calls later this week. And I'm also going to try that boxcall trick. That is just too cool.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:05 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Gobble calls can call in other hunters it don't matter whether it is public or private.
But a gobble call used at the right time can tip the battle in your favor.
I had a sequence that 3 hens and a very nice Tom hit the field I was hunting.
Tried a few yelps and the lead hen picked her head up and lead the whole group back up over the top of the ridge.
But I was sitting where they wanted to be. I did have a few decoys out. Little while later here they come again. Only this time I sat quietly until I heard a train approaching. I had sat this field before and had Tom's go nuts over the train whistle. So I thought why not? I let the train get close and the sound of the train whistle I used my Red Wolf Gobble call and went nuts. Everytime the train whistled I gobbled 2 to 3 maybe 4 times non stop.
The third time doing this the lead hen picked her head up and came running across the field. The other 2 hens saw that and did the same thing. In my lap in a flash. Flat out left the following Tom. Had to wait but....Shot that Tom at 25 yards.
I also use the call on early morning scouting trips. It can be enough to get a tom to answer back. They tell me where they are.
BUT!!!!!
AS other have quoted. Using a gobble call -give that cal great care must be given.
It will call in other hunters. And as for a realistic sounding call thst is very easy to use The Red Wolf is that good.
I have also used the Primos and Quaker boy shakers.
Good calls but Reds call out lasted both.
and I have used a rubber banded box call in a pinch.
They all work.
If you want realism...try a Red.

one thing.....at the end of the season take your shaker and seal it in an airtight plastic bag. It will help slow down of the latex diaphragm from degrading.
Old 03-28-2017, 01:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bob H in NH
When would you use a gobble call?
I've used it successfully on hung up toms. I'll yelp and follow up with a bad gobble. When they get an idea that they may have competition, they will come in to take a look.