Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
New turkey hunter is hooked >

New turkey hunter is hooked

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

New turkey hunter is hooked

Old 03-10-2017, 03:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default New turkey hunter is hooked

Hi Gang,
Here's 2 pix of my friend Bobby. We met 1.5 yrs ago, through a mutual friend. They served in Balad, Iraq together. Bobby was interested in hunting after hearing Randel and I trade turkey stories.
On opening day, we set up near a frequently used roost site to listen for gobbles. We heard a few gobbles in front us. After the closest gobbler sounded like he was moving down slope (to our left) we displaced and moved to get below him.
We got near a fire road that ran upslope from us. A tom gobbled close, so we scooted up hill and sat behind some bushes. I hit my slate call softly 2X and he came back 2X. We waited a few minutes to see if he would come closer, but he didn't. He gobbled one more time and then went silent. I hit my slate again, but nothing.
After waiting 10mins, I thought he might have ghosted into the brush. We waited 5 more minutes, and decided to slowly walk forward to see if he wasn't just waiting all fanned out.
We walked may be 15 yds before we saw his fan in the road, 50yds ahead. He was facing away from us.
I told Bobby to "Get down". We dropped. I then told Bobby to crawl forward. Bobby looked at me like "what?" I just pointed ahead whispered "Go"
Bobby got about 20yds before the gobbler turned in our direction. He stopped and raised his head to see the "thing" crawling in the road. Bobby got prone and the gobbler raised his head even higher.
I said "Shoot him". Bobby got his gun ready and I said again "Shoot him". Now the tom was on alert and reset his wings. Then I said "Shoot that @#$%^&* turkey right now"

Boom! It was done and Bobby was shaking. He scored his first (17.5#) bird. The season was only 90mins old and he had a gobbler down. He was bubbling with excitement. It was cool to welcome another fan addicted fool to the club.
Attached Thumbnails New turkey hunter is hooked-bobby-s-first-tom-2.jpg   New turkey hunter is hooked-bobby-s-first-tom.jpg  

Last edited by JoeA; 03-10-2017 at 03:29 PM. Reason: typos
Old 03-10-2017, 03:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cool story and pictures. Congrats to you guys.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

The smile always gives it away - Congrats !!!
Old 03-10-2017, 05:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Nice bird as well as the story.. Congrats to the both of you on a successful hunt. Also thanks for getting another fellow interested in hunting turkeys..
Old 03-12-2017, 11:41 AM
Typical Buck

Default Spreading the Fever

Great story, love that big smile of his!
Old 03-12-2017, 12:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

only takes one!
RR
Old 03-13-2017, 08:14 AM
Spike

WTG!! Now he's spoiled