Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Osceolas are cranked up! >

Osceolas are cranked up!

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Osceolas are cranked up!

Old 02-28-2017, 06:16 AM
Spike

Default Osceolas are cranked up!

Anybody else in the Central FL area having any luck finding birds? The ones around the bombing range have been going at it hard for the last month.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:45 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Swamp_slayer
Anybody else in the Central FL area having any luck finding birds? The ones around the bombing range have been going at it hard for the last month.
Been seeing a few toms and jakes. Well see what happens when opening day comes
Old 03-06-2017, 07:02 AM
Fork Horn

Where is this bombing range? Can I get some coordinates? Lol
Maybe Avon Park?
Old 03-06-2017, 01:37 PM
Spike

Avon park amigo. If you're looking for a place it costs money but it's better than nothing!
Old 03-07-2017, 05:10 AM
Spike

Been thinking about joining avon park; sort of waiting a couple years until the kids get old enough to hunt. Do you find it less of sh*t show than many of the regular WMAs?
Old 03-07-2017, 07:27 AM
Spike

The big plus side is there is a BUNCH of land to hunt and generally easy access everywhere. I've seen piles of birds around everywhere, but I am not exactly sure how many people turkey hunt out there. I imagine there are a pile on opening weekend, but that's just my guess. If you're strictly a public land hunter then I think it is worth the money to hunt all year long or as a back up option. Being that I am active duty I can hunt both the Public Rec side and the base itself. I will say the base seems a little more like a zoo! LOL!
Old 03-12-2017, 09:06 AM
Fork Horn

I hunted there in the past. When I hunted it, it was like $80 for the hunting season. Seemed like it was crowded for the opening weekend of each type of hunt and then was not to bad. We mainly archery hunted it and did get a few hogs. No matter where I hunt, I usually try and walk a ways to get away from people. That was probably 15 -20 years ago.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:38 AM
Fork Horn

Yep toms are talking here in Lakeland.
Old 03-12-2017, 05:20 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by bornagain64
I hunted there in the past. When I hunted it, it was like $80 for the hunting season. Seemed like it was crowded for the opening weekend of each type of hunt and then was not to bad. We mainly archery hunted it and did get a few hogs. No matter where I hunt, I usually try and walk a ways to get away from people. That was probably 15 -20 years ago.
I think it's around $300 now for the year but in my opinion that's not bad especially if all you hunt is public land. It's a very good primary or secondary hunting location.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:18 AM
Spike

I like the idea of the campgrounds, all hunting seasons, and I would imagine military oversight would make it a bit more controlled and clean than some of the state forest/wmd land. I'll have to give them a call, but may give it another year (b/c of family)

Thanks for the intel

Been hearing NOTHING around Lakeland/Zephyrhills but I have now spotted 3 longbeards. I have been in at first light too, and don't usually turkey call when scoutingg. I may be going deaf , but if the ones I saw are creatures of habit I'm optimistic for this coming weekend

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.