Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Mossberg 500

Old 11-07-2016, 09:07 AM
Fork Horn

Default Mossberg 500

I am fixin to buy my first turkey gun and i am strapped on money but found a mossberg 500 pump for sale for pretty cheap. If i put a good choke
On it can i be effective huntin turkeys with a 500? Or should i spend a little
More and buy a nova? What choke wud u suggest for a 500?
Old 11-07-2016, 12:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

No reason the 500 you can buy won't be a good turkey slayer. Buy a name brand turkey choke that will fit it and go to the range to see how far it will hold a good, tight pattern that will kill your bird with a head/neck shot with good turkey loads. You may have to do some experimenting to see what it likes best and then keep the range you shoot reasonable to humanely take a bird with it. Good luck!
Old 11-07-2016, 02:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mossberg 500 is a good gun. I have used one for years. I even have a rifled slug barrel and a muzzleloader barrel for mine. I don't know if you can still get those.

My wife uses a 20 ga. Had to have it cut down for her 'cause she's really small.
Old 11-07-2016, 02:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nothing wrong with the 500. Top gun gave you some good advice. Where you at in Pasco? I'm in south Pasco myself.
Old 11-07-2016, 03:30 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by RPD63
Nothing wrong with the 500. Top gun gave you some good advice. Where you at in Pasco? I'm in south Pasco myself.
South pasco as well! Holiday
Old 11-07-2016, 03:30 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
No reason the 500 you can buy won't be a good turkey slayer. Buy a name brand turkey choke that will fit it and go to the range to see how far it will hold a good, tight pattern that will kill your bird with a head/neck shot with good turkey loads. You may have to do some experimenting to see what it likes best and then keep the range you shoot reasonable to humanely take a bird with it. Good luck!
Thank you for your help! I found a 500 at walmart for $254. I cant pass that up.
Old 11-08-2016, 05:33 AM
Super Moderator

I use a Mossberg 500 to turkey hunt. Best gun Ive owned. Ive killed over 50 turkeys with it. As for the choke, I use the factory XXfull turkey choke. Ive tried other chokes but none compare with the factory. Longest shot Ive taken on a turkey was 50 yards and it dropped him. You wont go wrong with a Mossberg 500
Old 11-08-2016, 06:39 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Arrowmaster
I use a Mossberg 500 to turkey hunt. Best gun Ive owned. Ive killed over 50 turkeys with it. As for the choke, I use the factory XXfull turkey choke. Ive tried other chokes but none compare with the factory. Longest shot Ive taken on a turkey was 50 yards and it dropped him. You wont go wrong with a Mossberg 500
Thanks for your advice. Where would i buy the factory choke? Should i look on mossbergs website?
Old 11-08-2016, 08:21 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by FlaBoy18
Thanks for your advice. Where would i buy the factory choke? Should i look on mossbergs website?
This is the tough part. There's no way of telling for sure what choke is going to throw the best pattern, you have to try different chokes and turkey shells to figure out the best combination out of your shotgun. You SHOULD do OK if you buy a Kick's choke, Carlson choke, or Primos Jelly Head, but if you are looking for optimal results, you'll probably have to experiment a little. Probably not what you wanted to hear.
Old 11-08-2016, 12:40 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Uncle Nicky
This is the tough part. There's no way of telling for sure what choke is going to throw the best pattern, you have to try different chokes and turkey shells to figure out the best combination out of your shotgun. You SHOULD do OK if you buy a Kick's choke, Carlson choke, or Primos Jelly Head, but if you are looking for optimal results, you'll probably have to experiment a little. Probably not what you wanted to hear.
10/4 ill have to do a lil trail error run

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.