Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Fall turkey tips?

Old 10-21-2003, 06:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Fall turkey tips?

This will be my first attempt at turkey hunting. I have always wanted to try it out but never wanted to take time out of deer hunting and spring walleye. Well I got my buck early this year and I really want to do some turkey hunting. Seems like most turkey hunters are really hooked to it, and figured I better see what turkey hunting is all about.

I know the " common sense" basics to turkey hunting but that is all, so I am as " green" as they come. Any tips, hints or anything else would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old 10-21-2003, 09:37 PM

Default RE: Fall turkey tips?

I was a begginer to at one point lol,
I would have to say if you have transportation ride around mornings from dawn til about 9 in that time frame,and toward evening.If you have no permission to hunt on land snd see turkeys ask many people will gladly let you hunt there.
Once you find some turkeys go on the land (with permission) and watch there habits and where they go.And then when you know what the habits are,Set up where they do there habits then wait and BANG! or i would sugjest if you have a pop-up blind put it in a ggod spot where you see them and set it up, Clear the leaves from the inside and bring a seat and a book, And wait till ya hear them and shoot one. But that is basically what i would have to say If you already know this stuff ask me and ill Gladly help you with more advance stuff!

Old 10-22-2003, 05:37 PM
Typical Buck

thanks turkeyhunter_15 ,

i' ll ask for the more advanced stuff for myself and the others , after all , the more you know the more it helps.
Old 10-23-2003, 03:10 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-23-2003, 06:41 PM
Typical Buck

thanks brokenbucket
Old 10-23-2003, 07:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks for the replys.
OK. Say I have located some turkeys in the evening and want to return to hunt them in the morning what do I do? How close do I set up to the roost? What is the best type of call? How loud do I call? How often do I call? Do I use a decoy? So many questions. What is peak time for turkey hunting? I am a bit of a bow junkie and want to use my compound bow. I do have a pop up blind to use also.
Old 10-27-2003, 09:44 PM

Well there are two ways to approach this in the fall, okay three. More info on the third later. first if you want to call them in you will likely need to scatter the flock the night before you hunt. Easily done by sneaking into middle of roosting area and yelling! yes yelling that will seperate them and they will want to come back together in the morning. Or you could just set up youre blind, which is necessary to use with bow, between the roost and where you see them feed in morning.

Now for that third tactic, the best advice. Wait TILL SPRING. nothing will get you hooked faster than a gobbling tom charging your decoys and calling then you will be forced to hunt in fall to cure your turkey withdrawls.

One caution though if you should choose step three make sure you say your goodbyes to those stinkin walleye you may never see them again.
Old 10-28-2003, 08:35 AM
Typical Buck

I agree with the advice that has been given so far. I usually try to find where they are feeding. You can locate this by looking for scratchings. If the there is good scratchings the turkeys will usually work there way thru there , one set up you can use is an ambush site just like bow hunting you look for a natural funnel that will bring them right by you. If you find a flock of hens and can' t get a bow shot at one, bust the flock up then sit down wait for a little while then start doing an assembly yelp. (I normally use a pretty raspy ole hen call for this time of the year) It will bring them back together since they are a flock oriented bird. They want company.
. Gobblers on the other hand will usually be in a bachelor group, just like deer. Gobblers don' t normally respond to hen calls in the fall. I would use a gobble tube but sparingly they are not very vocal in the fall. If you do locate gobblers then I would only use a content cluck but again the ambush site would work well if you have them patterned.

I wish ya luck and welcome to the turkey hunting world.
Old 10-28-2003, 09:37 PM

I' ve utilized all kinds of strategies but the one that works best is finding their daily routine from roost to daytime feeding. Cut them off in their direction of travel, they seem to be habitual in nature? Good luck
Old 10-29-2003, 01:32 AM

I HAVE HAD BEETER LUCK BUYING ONE AT THE STORE. HA HA HA
I ALWAYS TRY TO ROOST THEM THE NIGHT BEFORE I HUNT THEM.
TRY HUNTING COVER CROPS, I HAVE HAD GOOD LUCK THAT WAY