Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Info/tips on Fall turkey hunting needed. >

Info/tips on Fall turkey hunting needed.

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Info/tips on Fall turkey hunting needed.

Old 10-05-2008, 06:41 PM

Default Info/tips on Fall turkey hunting needed.

I got drew for a Scott Co. Turkey tag in TN and I am not sure how much the rules of the game change for fall. I'm going to be hunting my spring hunting spot. Tag is either sex. So I welcome all info.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:59 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Info/tips on Fall turkey hunting needed.

there are a lot of different techniques to hunting in the fall, mostly it depends on the land you are planning on hunting. you can call them in, but it isn't as easy to do as in the spring. the best thing to do for fall turkey hunting is to do far more scouting than hunting, the turkeys tend to get on a regular time and travel routine between roost and feeding.
Old 10-08-2008, 02:20 PM
Typical Buck

I agree with vmartin, you can call to them but its an entirely different type of calling. You are better off being much more subtle, a few pleading yelps like a turkey separated from the flock, or better yet, learn to do a kee kee run. Some ppl like to find a flock and scatter it and then set up and try to call them back in as they try to group back up. For it to really work you have to scatter them in all directions, if too many fly off together they wont be nearly as easy to call back in. Personally i try to hunt them more like deer, find their travel routes and ambush them, better yet figure out where they roost (as they often roost in the same place every evening) and ambush them there. good luck
Old 10-09-2008, 01:26 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Here are some links to Fall Tactics that will help. From Spot and Stalk - to Sit and Call - To Bust Em up and then try to call em back and to using dogs for the latter if your state laws allow it!

http://www.missourigameandfish.com/hunting/turkey-hunting/mo_aa103204a/

http://hunting.suite101.com/article.cfm/fall_turkey_hunting_tactics

and this was good reading

http://www.turkeyhuntingsecrets.com/library/libindex-fall.htm

JW

Old 10-11-2008, 07:48 PM

thanks for the help fellas, I guess I will start scouting next week. i just wish my property was in scott co. i've been pickin up feathers in the wooded lot every day, but i guess it aint as fun if you don't work for it.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Plant a food plot and wait on em to come eat lunch, that's the easiest way. The past two years, I've left standing brush around the food plots so I can spot them from higher ground at a distance, then make my way towards them using the brush for cover. By doing this, I don't have to wake up at the crack of dawn to kill one, but I do in the spring just to enjoy the morning and hear em gobbling. Sometimes I get to the land around 8 or 9, walk up on the cabin porch and spot em in the fields,then move in for the kill. Stalkin em like that is a huge rush, and after you sneak within 20 steps or so and kill him, you feel like a straight up predator. It's a lot more fun and challenging than sitting and waiting. If for some reason you can't plant food plots, I'd try bustin up a flock or two then setting up and giving em some slow gobbler yelps and scratchin in the leaves a good bit. See the turkey, be the turkey. Good luck and have fun!
Old 10-18-2008, 11:09 PM
Super Moderator

Very good info...