Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
How many use one of these? >

How many use one of these?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

How many use one of these?

Old 03-07-2016, 01:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use a Ryno Skinz base layer w/a lightweight bug suit over top. The alternate methods I will keep in mind but my garments presently are doing the job.
Old 03-07-2016, 02:21 PM
Spike

I use them in Canada spring bear hunting you would not catch me the woods with out it. when walking into and getting set up the black flies and skeeters are all over you and after about 5 minutes with the thermal cell on they all disapear
Old 03-07-2016, 05:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use both a thermacell and permethrin and I swear by both. The thermacell will keep mosquitos away no doubt. As far as tick are concerned, I got ticks on me every year I've ever turkey hunted, until I started using permethrin. Not one single tick since.
Old 03-08-2016, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't go turkey hunting without mine...they just work. I also use permethrin...treat my boots and clothing before the season, then again a little over halfway through...I haven't had a tick attached to me while turkey hunting in several years.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am with the others, use permethrin on my clothing and also take out the thermacell. Only use the thermacell for the most part during the deer season as the spring is not too bad.
Old 03-08-2016, 03:21 PM
DTC
Nontypical Buck

I bought one for a Canadian bear several years ago. Money well spent! I've taken it to Canada for 3 bear hunts and 2 Osceola hunts in Florida. I will have it packed with me for our Osceola hunt this weekend too.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:10 AM
Spike

You can't hunt without one in south Florida! The heavy duty sprays will keep them off but they still buzz in your ear and all around. The thermacell literally creates your own little bubble that you can play in
Old 03-09-2016, 09:17 AM
JW
Super Moderator

I do use a Thermacell and also this. An alternative to the smoke.

JW
Old 03-09-2016, 01:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by maytom
Was just curious as to how many actually use a Therma-cell unit during the spring season? Think I bought one when they first came on the market years ago, and swear by them. Keeps the skeeters and black flys away very well indeed. Would be lost without. Even have the holster that holds an extra butane bottle and several scent paks too.

i never bought one but thought about it for some time i just didn't want another gadget and more batteries and those cartridges along with all the other junk we carry with us i just use bug spray and a bug out suit but the down side is if the deer are running with the turkey's the deer could bust you with the smell of the bug spray!!
Old 03-09-2016, 01:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by JW
I do use a Thermacell and also this. An alternative to the smoke.

JW
My wife and the next door neighbor lady both use one of those when they're out in their gardens and both think it works pretty good. All you do is stick that little gizmo in the machine after you take it out of the wrapping and turn on the fan. I may try ours out this year in the turkey woods and see what I think of it. They are much cheaper to run than the Thermacell and there is no butane to burn and the inserts are a lot cheaper than the ones for the Thermacell.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.