Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
new choke out anyone heard of it where do i get one >

new choke out anyone heard of it where do i get one

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

new choke out anyone heard of it where do i get one

Old 01-16-2016, 02:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Guess I'll throw in my 2 cents worth.A few yrs ago while workin an outdoor show here in Pa. I was asked to sign a petition bannin the use of rifles for fall turkey.(They are legal to use here in Pa.) I refused to sign it. The guy asked me why.I told him in over 40 yrs of huntin turkey I have never even considered usin a rifle for turkey. BUT,If I vote to get rid of somethin that is LEGAL but doesn't affect me or my way of huntin one bit.Then I would have no right to expect a rifle hunter to support my right to use a shotgun. To lose any LEGAL means of huntin is only the first step to losin more and more.It's the old human nature.He didn't back me so I won't back him.We need to stick together even if we don't agree.
Old 01-16-2016, 03:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jalvja
Guess I'll throw in my 2 cents worth.A few yrs ago while workin an outdoor show here in Pa. I was asked to sign a petition bannin the use of rifles for fall turkey.(They are legal to use here in Pa.) I refused to sign it. The guy asked me why.I told him in over 40 yrs of huntin turkey I have never even considered usin a rifle for turkey. BUT,If I vote to get rid of somethin that is LEGAL but doesn't affect me or my way of huntin one bit.Then I would have no right to expect a rifle hunter to support my right to use a shotgun. To lose any LEGAL means of huntin is only the first step to losin more and more.It's the old human nature.He didn't back me so I won't back him.We need to stick together even if we don't agree.
Exactly my thoughts, and the modern advantages that some use to make them more successful is an individual choice, without knowing their experience level how can we berate them. everyone struggles with hunting at some point in their carreer. through the years I've taken many folks hunting, show them what I do to be successful and let them mold their own method to success. what works for me may not work for everyone, what I enjoy is not enjoyable to everyone. the day hunting stops the main ones to shoulder the blame will be hunters themselves. we've saw it in the past with dog hunters vs. the hunting population
RR
Old 01-16-2016, 03:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
Exactly my thoughts, and the modern advantages that some use to make them more successful is an individual choice, without knowing their experience level how can we berate them. everyone struggles with hunting at some point in their carreer. through the years I've taken many folks hunting, show them what I do to be successful and let them mold their own method to success. what works for me may not work for everyone, what I enjoy is not enjoyable to everyone. the day hunting stops the main ones to shoulder the blame will be hunters themselves. we've saw it in the past with dog hunters vs. the hunting population
RR
RR,We have known each other on here for many years.Our styles of huntin are not always the same but we always congratulated each other and supported each other as hunters should.P.S. How's the family doin?
Old 01-16-2016, 04:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just watched the video and the first thing I noticed was on these so called 50-60 yard shots the wad was making its way all the way to the turkey...

I've shot a lot of shells and most of the time the wad is out around 20 yards from my rest. These guys have video of 60 yards shots and the wad is damn near bouncing off the bird...

I'm not gonna say BS but I'm a little suspect on this one!!,
Old 01-16-2016, 04:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Mr. Longbeard
I just watched the video and the first thing I noticed was on these so called 50-60 yard shots the wad was making its way all the way to the turkey...

I've shot a lot of shells and most of the time the wad is out around 20 yards from my rest. These guys have video of 60 yards shots and the wad is damn near bouncing off the bird...

I'm not gonna say BS but I'm a little suspect on this one!!,
not sure where the wad goes, but I can guarantee you I will kill every gobbler I shoot at, at 50 yards with my valmet 412 and a load of federal 2 oz. 6's been doing it since 84 when I had Mark Bansner work it over. farthest one ever taken was a gobbler in the fall at 76 steps, skinned out the head and neck just to see how it did, found 16 #6's in just the head and neck.
RR

Last edited by Ridge Runner; 01-16-2016 at 04:46 AM.
Old 01-16-2016, 04:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

not sure where the wad goes, but I can guarantee you I will kill every gobbler I shoot at, at 50 yards with my valmet 412 and a load of federal 2 oz. 6's been doing it since 84 when I had Mark Bansner work it over. farthest one ever taken was a gobbler in the fall at 76 steps, skinned out the head and neck just to see how it did, found 16 #6's in just the head and neck.
RR
I had Mark build me a turkey gun before there was such a thing.Either late 70's or early 80's.Still using that same gun,lol
Old 01-16-2016, 12:11 PM
Fork Horn

Reading some of these comments about shooting a turkey at 50-60 yards what is wrong with it? If you know your turkey combo can take a hung up bird out at 50-60 yards then by all mean go for it or if you can make an ethical harvest then go for it (within reason). And for the people saying it is not hunting to do that let me ask this is it hunting to shoot a deer at 300 yards with a scope and a rifle? Use deer pee, calls, advanced bullets such as a ttsx so you can use a smaller caliber to take larger game, hunting over food plots, and the list goes on.... You can say this is hunting but it doesn't take skill to blow in a grunt tube, make a turkey sound with a diaphragm, make and elk bugle from tube, sit over a food plot, etc. What takes skill is when an individual can actually make these sounds with out these devices to assist them. And who cares this doesn't do any harm to the hunting industry.

What makes the industry look bad is when you have people arguing over other hunters about if it is right or wrong because you feel it is right or wrong. If it can be done ethically and has been proven and the hunter knows his/her abilities then go for it. Not everyone can call a Turkey in to 20 yards and when you take kids and disabled hunters hunting that can be a once and a lifetime hunt it makes it just a little easier to have a little success on their end.

The more companies come out with hunting products, the more a user will buy, in turn the more will go to conservation. Example the Pittman-Roberson Act the more money spent on "sporting rifles", ammunition, arrows, parts, and accessories the more money gets turned over for conservation of wildlife. So I say have fun and goodluck! Hunters are the number 1 conservationists.

Last edited by Brandon_SPC; 01-16-2016 at 12:43 PM.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

RR

Mark Bansner lol... Been awhile since I heard someone drop that name... Friend of mine sent his 835 ulti mag to him back in the 90's and he swore his gun would do what your gun would do... Finally talked him into Us Going out and patterning our guns together... Beings I had a NEF 10ga turkey gun that he named "poor mans turkey gun" he figured his Bansner custom choke and 3.5" shells would make me look like a DA's.... Well my poor mans turkey gun put his custom choke to shame so with that being said Bansner custom work doesn't impress me!!!
Old 01-17-2016, 09:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

Last I knew, he wasn't doing shotguns anymore, just custom rifles.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

so he hada screw in choke? if it was 3.5 it had to be, mark never built a screw in choke, though his name was on some that he made to spec's designed by someone I think they were called jellyhead? but not sure, mark put sleeves in shotguns back before there was a screw in choke, ya wanna see what they will do,come down one day,bring your 10 ga, we will compare, have never saw anything that can compete with marks turkey/predator sleeve, he measured every one at the forcing cone and built a sleeve for it depending on the size using x amount of constriction, my bansner shotgun was eliminated from every shooting match held within 50 miles because no others could come close to delivering the same patterns.Mark now builds a little better than average rifles
RR

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.