Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
What is a "fair" price for turkey hunting? >

What is a "fair" price for turkey hunting?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

What is a "fair" price for turkey hunting?

Old 12-26-2015, 07:08 AM
Spike

Default What is a "fair" price for turkey hunting?

I’ve never done a turkey hunt and was hoping to get some suggestions of a “fair” price for 2 people. Here are 3 different places I’m considering based upon locations near family to visit:

1) http://www.heavenlyhollowstn.com
2) http://huntingkentuckydeer.com
3) http://www.ohioguideoutfitters.com

Any experiences with any of them?
Old 12-26-2015, 07:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have no experience with any of those places. There are a lot of things to consider. What is the turkey populations on the land you will hunt, how many others have hunted before you in the season and how many birds were taken before you got there, hard hunted turkeys are smarter turkeys. I could not find a price on the Ohio outfitters info. The two that did post prices were more than I would pay and just what do you get for a semi guided hunt. I hope there is someone here who can give you some info based on experience.
Old 12-26-2015, 08:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Buy a license and go turkey hunting. That's what I do. Never saw any reason to hire a guide or pay to hunt them. But, that's me.
Old 12-26-2015, 09:07 PM
JW
Super Moderator

First off where you located. All the hunts you listed are for the specie of wild turkey which is called Eastern. Pretty common in a vast majority of the united states.
WI has a Learn to Turkey hunt program open to anybody who has never turkey hunted ages 10 to 110.
That is free! Half day training seminar and then a free hunt where a mentor takes you turkey hunting.
Cost would be your travel to the state. Most programs even feed you free. And the license is free.
Send me a PM. I can provide some additional links. Good way to get a start so you can get out there and do it your self.
JW
Old 12-28-2015, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator

Ok #1 My hunting buddy has hunted here. From what he has told me that there are a bunch of Jakes and the long beards don't want to get close enough, cause the Jakes will run the long beards off.
Now #2 and #3 I don't have any knowledge of these outfitters.
As far as price range it varies. I don't believe anyone will cut you a deal with 2 hunters. The outfitter I use is in Missouri. I'll give you his cost which I see as fair. Its $750 including the tags lodging and meals and guided hunts for 3 days of hunting. You may even get an extra day of hunting as well. I myself don't do the guided hunts but they are available for the same exact price.

I have hunted numerous states and use outfitters each time and the price really varies. I paid $2000 not including tag to kill an Osceola. The lowest Ive paid was $450 in Texas that was including lodging, but no tag. That was the worse hunting trip Ive ever had.

Do your research on these outfitters. Check their references. PM me if you need any assistance and I'll try to help you out as much as I can.
Old 12-29-2015, 11:41 AM
Fork Horn

If #1 had a lot of jakes last season, that translates to a lot of hard gobbling 2 year old toms this year. THAT would be very good!
Old 12-30-2015, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like #1 is a high fence operation.
Old 12-30-2015, 03:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Rob in VT
Sounds like #1 is a high fence operation.
It is a 2,500 acre high fence operation for deer and it's funny that they use the term fair chase when that term should not used for a high fence operation, but they say they have another 2,500 that's not under a high fence. The first really doesn't matter since a high fence wouldn't keep a turkey in it like it would a deer.
Old 12-30-2015, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Turkeys don't like to cross barb wire fences. A high fence might be a challenge for those pea brains lol!
Old 12-30-2015, 04:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Rob in VT
Turkeys don't like to cross barb wire fences. A high fence might be a challenge for those pea brains lol!
I've seen them fly over a high fence in Texas. They don't like barriers like fences, but if there is something they want to get to like a hen during breeding season or a good food source they will fly up and over similar to when they helicopter up to a roost limb.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.