Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Spring turkey hunting advice. >

Spring turkey hunting advice.

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Spring turkey hunting advice.

Old 04-24-2015, 01:53 PM
Spike

Post Spring turkey hunting advice.

So this is my first year turkey hunting, and my week started on Wednesday. (April 22nd) My main issue is that I am only seeing hens. I've found their feeding patterns, which are, they come in the morning to feed in the field, and then disperse into the woods, and then they show up right before sunset to feed again. I am set up in a blind on the edge of the field. I have not heard any gobblers, nor have the hens been making much noise either. Since they come out right before dusk tells me that they must be roosted near, they also are out again in the morning around 5:30 6 am. I am unable to get to their roost because of land boundaries, so i'm basically in a stalemate here. Any ideas?

- Usually the hens have been in flocks of 8 in the evening and in flocks of 5 in the morning, I believe they are roosting in pine trees on the opposite side of the hill i'm on, but I cannot get to them. The only known water sources are lower level areas in the woods that fill with rain water. (There is a lake and several rivers about 4 miles from where I am and another lake/swamp about 2 miles in the opposite direction from where the turkeys are coming from.
Old 04-24-2015, 04:40 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Be patient with all those hens a tom will surely find them.

JW
Old 04-24-2015, 06:38 PM
Spike

If they are coming out to the field every morning, that early, then I don't think you need to get closer to their roost, but if they come out in the same spot in the field, you might want to set your blind there, if it's easily moved.