Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Slide and stalk decoys

Old 03-09-2015, 10:16 PM
Spike

Default Slide and stalk decoys

I've enjoyed seeing some vids of the use of these (mojo, turkeyfan, etc.), but I can't help but think that thirty years ago, this method would have been harder to sell. Back then, even use of a sitting strutter was a bit extreme. Personally, at my age, I would probably be huffing and puffing from a 50 yd crawl.
Other than the possible safety risk, and physical discomfort, the only thing that I don't like is, at least on vids, that I see several shots being taken on fleeing turkeys; whereas, I would prefer shooting at a non-spooked bird. At the same time, it's none of my business to tell somebody else not to do it, if they want to, and it's legal.
Old 03-10-2015, 03:26 AM
Typical Buck

If this is holding a decoy and crawling close in to a gobbler dropping the decoy and shooting wildly at a gobbler I'm against it, to much of a chance of wounding, on the other hand if it is legal then then it's legal.
Old 03-10-2015, 04:02 AM
Typical Buck

I think that over the last several years that the awareness level has increased to the point that accidental shootings have plummeted. I think that greater communication through videos, internet, hunting magazines, and the NWTF is a huge reason.

Another change is the change in attitudes among hunters. 30 years ago...when the aforementioned were just starting to take off...the attitude (which was starting to wane) among many hunters was that of "ground checking". At least in my parts many hunters that were in their early 40's/late 30's grew up in a time where hunting was about providing meat. Laws and regulations be darned.

I said all that to say that it is a much safer technique than it once might have been. It is mostly used in wide open areas where guys can be seen. I have a buddy that sort of "started" the trend. I say that loosely because I think a lot of guys had the same idea at the same time. When the B Mobile first came out he bought one. He took his first bird that year by crawling behind the decoy in a sage grass field. He has taken several birds since then using the same technique.