Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Found some Remington shells with the hevi shot logo are they good loads? >

Found some Remington shells with the hevi shot logo are they good loads?

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Found some Remington shells with the hevi shot logo are they good loads?

Old 02-10-2015, 02:31 PM
Spike

Default Found some Remington shells with the hevi shot logo are they good loads?

I was at a local sporting goods store and they had several box of Remington shell that had the Hevi Shot logo on box.

They where all 6 shot. 10 to a box for $24.99

With the Hevi shot we have now we get 2oz loads, these where 1 1/2 oz at 1300fps and the other was 1 5/8 oz at 1220 FPS.

Other than the obvious that was have 2oz loads now how do they compare?

Last edited by bigc870; 02-10-2015 at 02:36 PM.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hevi-shot and Remington split up a while ago, so those boxes are older. Rem came out with their Wingmaster HD to replace the gap in their product line. Hevi-shot still makes great shells, just not in green hulls.

With the shot weights and speeds (1220 & 1300) given, I doubt they are turkey loads. Most Hevi-shot turkey loads are slower, 1090fps.

Last edited by JoeA; 03-12-2015 at 09:40 AM.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by JoeA
Hevi-shot and Remington split up a while ago, so those boxes are older. Rem came out with their Wingmaster HD to replace the gap in their product line. Hevi-shot still makes great shells, just not in green hulls.

With the shot weights and speeds (1220 & 1300) given, I doubt they are turkey loads. Most Hevi-shot turkley loads are slower, 1090fps.
And the turkeys will know the difference if he keeps the distances to common sense shots? I think not.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

No. There's only one degree of dead. But I answered the question as posted "How do they compare?"
Old 03-09-2015, 04:43 PM
Spike

I didn't buy any but they where Turkey loads. It said right on the box.

I maybe mistaken but when remington was making the shells for Hevi-13 they used the number 13 because they marketed them to shot 1300fps for most loads and or shoot sizes. I could be wrong but I have read it some where online but like a lot of things online are not 100% accurate.
Old 03-10-2015, 04:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bigc870
I didn't buy any but they where Turkey loads. It said right on the box.

I maybe mistaken but when remington was making the shells for Hevi-13 they used the number 13 because they marketed them to shot 1300fps for most loads and or shoot sizes. I could be wrong but I have read it some where online but like a lot of things online are not 100% accurate.
Hevi-13 was never loaded to 1300 fps or was needed to. It was loaded and sold to mainly 1090fps for it does not need the speed like others to achieve the penetration as others do.
It is 13g/cc heavier than lead. It is 40% more dense than lead. EnvironMetal was the original Hevi-Shot. I still have about 8 boxes of it before Remington bought the rights to load and sell it before EnvironMetal got back on their feet and bought it back.
They were originally in a clear white Fiochi hull with a nickel case head. Un-buffered. Remington bought the rights, then went on to use flax seed as a buffer material.
In turkey loads, speed goes against you after a certain point. The fater the load, the more kenetic energy sets back the shot and disrupts the pattern. That's why most turkey custom loads are in the 1100-1200fps area. You will find some that are in the 1300fps, but as a rule of thumb, don't pattern as tight as the slower loads due to disruption upon being shot and the pattern being blown apart.