Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Best Turkey Scope

Old 03-04-2015, 01:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BB Outdoors
I'll spend anything to have a good scope. Thanks for the help
in my opinion i would avoid an adjustable scope most times you don't have the time or your going to get busted making the extra movement to adjust !
Old 03-06-2015, 04:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use a Bushnell shotgun scope I think it it like 1.5-4 power I keep it on the low setting works great!!!
Old 03-06-2015, 04:45 AM
JW
Super Moderator

My Nikon - forgot to add - is 1.4 to 4x and why.....change chokes to the Rem Slug choke and I have a deer slug gun good to 100 yards easy!

JW
Old 03-06-2015, 07:37 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by grinder67
simmons pro diamond 4x32
I had one of these on my gun for years and it worked great on slow moving birds coming in for an unexpected first shot but if you got busted or missed trying to get onto a moving bird with a scope is tough. Also if the bird comes from a different side or odd angle of approach it can be difficult to get a good site picture on the scope to shoot. Plus once down on the scope you have one eye closed. I switched to a burris fastfire three red dot and it is great. You can hit moving targets with ease all you need to do is put the red dot on the target and shoot. You keep both eyes open which also helps with your field of view and can see if another bird or other object comes into frame not like being locked down on a scope with one eye closed.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:28 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Timbrhuntr
I had one of these on my gun for years and it worked great on slow moving birds coming in for an unexpected first shot but if you got busted or missed trying to get onto a moving bird with a scope is tough. Also if the bird comes from a different side or odd angle of approach it can be difficult to get a good site picture on the scope to shoot. Plus once down on the scope you have one eye closed. I switched to a burris fastfire three red dot and it is great. You can hit moving targets with ease all you need to do is put the red dot on the target and shoot. You keep both eyes open which also helps with your field of view and can see if another bird or other object comes into frame not like being locked down on a scope with one eye closed.
I dont turkey hunt with a scope much but when I do I shoot both eyes open. have only shot at one running turkey (my wife shot first and knocked it down then it got up and started running) anyway running right to left 1 shot and rolled it . Not saying I could do it every time but got it done that time. I am in no way way disagreeing with you as I am not familiar with the burris fast fire but will look it up when I get a chance
Old 03-06-2015, 12:01 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by grinder67
I dont turkey hunt with a scope much but when I do I shoot both eyes open. have only shot at one running turkey (my wife shot first and knocked it down then it got up and started running) anyway running right to left 1 shot and rolled it . Not saying I could do it every time but got it done that time. I am in no way way disagreeing with you as I am not familiar with the burris fast fire but will look it up when I get a chance
I got rid of the scope I had at one time for something similar. I had to move my head too much to go from watching to aiming. I now have a Burris Speed Bead on my Benelli and a reflex site made by Osprey on my 870. I can keep both eyes open and scan easily. The first turkey I took with a cheap red dot scope really impressed me with the increased ability to aim. I found that I wasn't as focused on my barrel and bead as I was the bird. As soon as his head walked in front of the dot I squeezed the trigger. Since switching to red dot scopes/sites I have only missed one bird and that was a long 40+ yard shot where I was twisted as far around the tree as I could go. I would have waited longer but my ribcage was cramping like crazy.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:07 PM
Typical Buck

Unfortunately I was taught to shoot through a rifle scope with one eye closed and can't get out of it. I even have to concentrate on not closing one eye when I shoot the red dot. Plus being left eye dominant makes it even more confusing ! But it is much easier to just see that red dot floating out in front of you put it on the target and pull the trigger.
Old 04-27-2015, 04:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have the very same gun, a Winchester 1300. Right out of the box, it always shot high left??? Hence, I ended up getting a 1x4 Leupold shotgun scope for my gun. With the extra heavy reticle, it really stands out in the woods. Never had any issues.