Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Season opener tips

Old 04-24-2015, 09:44 PM
Spike

Default Season opener tips

Getting ready to head out turkey hunting on May 1st here in Upstate New York, we had a warm up in early april getting up in the mid 60's and was seeing turkeys roaming but the weather snapped back into the cold down to low 30's and its slightly rising for the last week of april in high 50's, opening day will be high 40's and low 60's around noon just wondering what will be expected from the turkeys activity after the cold snap? How much gobbling will be expected? Is it better to call more or a little, what type of decoy set up, Jake and one or two Hens, Tom and one or two Hens, just a lone Jake or Tom or Hen.
Whats the best spot to set up? I was going to try a muck farm right off the power lines.

All help is appreciated.
Old 04-26-2015, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cold, warm, it doesn't matter. At this time of year, if it's sunny, they'll be gobbling.
Don't call too much. A hen that yaks a lot is coming to the tom. Play hard to get.
I just use a hen. But if I get a tom hanging up, I'll throw in a jake gobble to make him think he has competition. Best spot to set up is near as you can get to the birds you're hunting. Make sure they have an easy travel route to your location. Obstacles will hang them up. Good luck
Old 04-26-2015, 07:52 PM
Spike

OK thanks great info, They're calling for overcast on opening day so probably not much gobbling then, would it hurt to use a fanning jake decoy with the hen?
Old 04-27-2015, 11:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by NYlongbeards
would it hurt to use a fanning jake decoy with the hen?
If you are hunting a dominant gobbler, a jake, fanning or otherwise, will be a challenge and he might come in to kick some a$$.
However subordinate birds might be intimidated and refuse to challenge the decoy. You'll limit your options, but any bird that does come in will be a bruiser.