Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Mossberg 500 20 GA turkey combo >

Mossberg 500 20 GA turkey combo

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Mossberg 500 20 GA turkey combo

Old 01-19-2015, 02:58 PM
Spike

Default Mossberg 500 20 GA turkey combo

Hello, this will be my 3rd year spring turkey hunting and was looking to improve my patterning from 5 bbs in killzone at 30 yards to 15 bbs or more at 30 yards, I first used the standard Full Choke that comes from the factory but the results were horrifying and tried 3 types of ammo and couldn't change the pattern.

So i bought a new choke from Midway USA (this one)http://www.midwayusa.com/product/123...ProductFinding
And was wondering if it will be safe to shoot copper plated shot like Winchester Double X 20 Gauge Magnum Turkey Load #5. i know i could try other types of ammo but really like this stuff and really cant afford stuff like Hevi-Shot, but hope that the .575" constriction isn't too tight for the Winchester ammo.

Thanks for reading.
Old 01-19-2015, 03:37 PM
Typical Buck

It should say on the choke if it is lead only or shoots other types of shot.

Read this through also.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/spec...on-2009-a.html

Last edited by Timbrhuntr; 01-19-2015 at 03:39 PM.
Old 01-19-2015, 06:06 PM
Spike

The Choke says lead, copper and hevi shot,

I mostly think it would be ok to shoot the Winchester Copper lead out of it but just wanted to know if anyone had expierence with using copper out of a super full choke.

Sounds stupid but just dont want it to blow up on me.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck gettin the MB to pattern...

At least your starting early...
Old 01-23-2015, 06:55 AM
Typical Buck

I have heard people slam Mossberg before, but I have had mine since 1994, and love it. It has harvested everything I have gone after. Keep up on the choke/shell search and post the results. Every weapon has its own mojo, so don't let the haters deter you.

Looking forward to your results of trying stuff out!
Old 01-23-2015, 12:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot a Mossberg 500 12 Ga, 24" ported accu-choke barrel. Have killed turkeys out to 40 yds with standard full choke, 3" Win XX #6 Turkey Loads. For the heck of it I'm shooting an extra full choke this year. Patterned nice. I've had no issues with killing turkeys within 40 yds and don't expect any.
Old 01-24-2015, 03:59 PM
Spike

I've only had my Mossberg 20ga for 2 years and have gotten 5 deer and 1 turkey (with the full choke) it pattern pretty decent with the full up to 30 yards with the exception of only one choice of Ammo (Win double x) . but got a super full for extra yardage, really excited to see my patterns for this year, I think any gun can pattern the same it all depends on how good of shot you are.