Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Winter feed for the birds >

Winter feed for the birds

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Winter feed for the birds

Old 10-11-2003, 04:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Winter feed for the birds

I did a job the other day at a place that we at the NWTF planted trees for winter feeding programs and the High bush Cranberries are grown 6 feet high and are loaded with red berries. Its nice to see that some effords have worked out....BT
Old 10-12-2003, 07:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Winter feed for the birds

Nice job BT!![8D]
Old 10-12-2003, 08:02 AM

I have a place here on my property,where I put shelled corn, all over the ground so the turkeys will have a place to feed. [It is a no hunting area] Just want a place they can go and get food. I want to make sure I always have turkeys here in my neck of the woods. Turkey hunting is a great thing, something we all can pass down to our children and to their children. It only costs me $4.oo every two weeks to feed the shelled corn. A small contribution to our great outdoor heritage.

Adrian,it is good to hear a report like yours,we here at,My neck of the woods, thank you.
Old 10-21-2003, 10:01 PM
Typical Buck

Hey BT is that the name of the bush you planted? or is there another name for it?
Old 10-24-2003, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Adrian; I was talking about planting highbush cranberries with the old CO from the Wiarton area. He said to keep an eye on them to see if the birds are eating them. Some varieties are so bad tasting that he' s seen large patches untouched in heavily populated areas. He said that you never know if you' ve gotten edible ones (especially from the conservation authority)until you see if the wildlife uses them. But; once you' ve got a good seed/plant source you' ve got it made.

Dan O.