Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Fall Season WI 2014

Old 09-13-2014, 08:22 AM
Spike

Default Fall Season WI 2014

Fall Turkey season opened this morning. An entire flock came up our driveway. I had a tag. Wife spotted them for me.
Old 09-13-2014, 04:02 PM
JW
Super Moderator

I went to apply way before the deadline, for some reason my zone was not open. Sent a question to the WI DNR asking why and never got a dang response.

So no fall hunt for me.....

JW
Old 09-17-2014, 05:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

That is terrible JW.. Here we had never had a fall turkey hunt in my zone.. This year they have opened it up for 1 bird of either sex.. My very first bird was a fall bird in a different zone I had scouted for archery hunting and ended up getting a hen with my bow.. I will never forget that day as it was very special to me.. Now with my zone opened up and the land I have with apple trees running one whole side of it I am planning on trying for one when they show up.. It will clearly be after October 2nd though and I am thinking closer to November.. I will be using my bow then for one again.. I was very surprised they had opened it up here this year after our harsh winter ..
Old 09-17-2014, 05:23 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Worse yet - I have 2 very nice longbeards that can be seen daily on my little 9 acres.
I had 3 hens with their poults stand on my back porch daily. Even when my 2 hunting dogs bust the flock the do come back.

Well guess I'll just take pictures...

JW
Old 09-17-2014, 07:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

Taking pistures is ok I guess .. I used to and still do at times..

I have not seen any longbeards here yet.. I have not really done any scouting though.. Just tonight while driving to work I saw three groups with hens and poults along side the road.. So they appear to be doing great right now.. I just hope they do not shoot to many hens so the poults will have a better chance of suriving our winter here.
Old 09-19-2014, 06:16 AM
Typical Buck

The WDNR webpage shows that zones 2, 5,6, and 7 were oversubscribed:

http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/hunt/documents/fall.pdf

but that there were permits available. I've got a friend who pulled a zone 2 fall permit. Sounds like you got hosed somehow.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:10 AM
Typical Buck

That sucks JW ! I have the same problem here in Ontario tons of fall birds it seems but no fall season. Luckily I have access to some good ground in Michigan and multiple tags can be purchased.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:28 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Michigan? Multiple tags can be purchased?? I need to check that out! I hunt MI every spring.

I also have huge tracts in MI

Out of the 25 yrs hunting there - only did not connect only 2 of those yrs. And so far my daughter is 3 for 3 as she came back hunting. All long beards too!
JW
Old 09-29-2014, 12:59 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by JW
Michigan? Multiple tags can be purchased?? I need to check that out! I hunt MI every spring.

I also have huge tracts in MI

Out of the 25 yrs hunting there - only did not connect only 2 of those yrs. And so far my daughter is 3 for 3 as she came back hunting. All long beards too!
JW
If your in the YY area the tags are pretty much unlimited if you have the cash !