Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Season Over... Tag Soup Anyone? >

Season Over... Tag Soup Anyone?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Season Over... Tag Soup Anyone?

Old 04-27-2014, 04:26 AM
Spike

Default Season Over... Tag Soup Anyone?

Alabama's season ends April 30. However, three rounds of severe weather and about five inches of rain are headed our way beginning early tomorrow and lasting through Wednesday. So that's the end of my first turkey hunting season.

Learned a lot. Got really hooked. Didn't kill anything, though.

I'll be out hunting them again in a few weeks, only with a camera instead of a shotgun. I found a couple new spots and I want to see if they get any birds on them this time of year.

How about yours?
Old 04-27-2014, 04:29 AM
neb
Typical Buck

I wish you luck next year. It is more about being out there then getting a bird!
Old 04-27-2014, 06:03 AM
Typical Buck

Sorry to hear that you weren't able to get your first bird. It took me several years to get my first one, but I learned a lot in those years( I am still learning). They do seem to come a little easier as time goes on. Good luck to you next year
Old 04-27-2014, 10:18 AM
Spike

Oh, being out there was wonderful, especially the days I hunted with my youngest brother. I'm already counting down days until the special hog hunt in September.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yeah, sorry to hear of your luck out there.. It took me a few years before getting any birds. My first bird was actually in the fall archery style and it is one I will never forget! After that I must have broken the ice because I have been getting them every year after that.. Good Luck next year and keep at it. It will come together for you at some point..
Old 04-27-2014, 11:30 AM
neb
Typical Buck

It looks like I will be eating the soup you are unless things turn around in a hurry. LOL It has been one of those years and weather hasn't been a friend at all. I don't think I went a year without a bird but this one looks like it may happen. Hang in there have fun and keep learning the game.
Old 04-27-2014, 04:18 PM
Spike

The good news is that wild hogs are open year round, outside of the WMAs (which, interestingly, is where they thrive the best.... any correlation?), so I don't have to put the camo away quite yet. If the heat will hold off a few weeks I may can bag a pig or two.

Not as good as turkey, but better than nothing.
Old 04-27-2014, 04:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Turkeys move all day during the rain, the best day I had this year was when we had an inch and a half of rain in about 4 hours...

Get a tent and get out there!! Hunt the fields...
Old 04-27-2014, 05:31 PM
Spike

I'm keen on hunting turkeys, but not with 'naters around. Little Rock got hit pretty bad tonight, and that system is coming through tonight or in the morning.

I'll get up early and check again; if it looks like it may break I might try it. But I'm not going to stress it too much.
Old 04-28-2014, 04:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

My Alabama season ended Saturday morning. Fun season. Killed a fine gobbler early in the season. Got on another with my grandson with me a few weeks later. After 30 minutes or so, my grandson just could not stand sitting still any longer. I mean right as I had dropped the safety. Busted! But he had a ball watching the show. And memories were made.

Called up one for a buddy last Wednesday. Nice mature double bearded gobbler ... 12" & 7", with 1" spurs. I know it sounds like BS, but this was another 25# gobbler. We took 3 gobblers that weighed right at 25# and 1 gobbler that weighed right at 23#. The other 7 we killed were the typical 17#-19# weight. We are not sure why these gobblers were so heavy. We do know that the group to the north of where we hunt keep deer pellets out year round. I suspect that these gobblers have been feasting themselves on that stuff.

Last edited by Mojotex; 04-28-2014 at 10:54 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.