Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

First tag done

Old 04-25-2014, 06:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default First tag done

Started at day break right off the roost. 4 adult gobblers talking back to a number of hens. I'm setup along a creek with a field in front of me and the birds are to my hard right, kind a behind me. They all flydown in a field across the creek and strut there stuff to the hens.

I start cutting and into yelping and they all respond. Not long and one gobbler breaks and starts in my direction. As he closes the gap from some couple hundred yards down to about 70 the rest start to follow. They work their way into about 60 yards and then start cutting behind me. I turn in the Turkey lounger chair :angry: stupid thing (not a morning pc of equipment) I lock up with the gun up as the gobbler in the lead closes the gap about 50 yards on the other side of the creek. All of a sudden The dreaded PUTT and a hen picks something out and she goes into a putting stage for 20 minutes and the group turns and walks back to the field they came in on and away from me.

As they disappeared in the woods I got up left that lounging chair and off and cross the creek and circled to get in front of them. I figured they were heading to a corn field on the same property so I did a wide sneak and found a spot as I thought I would be in front of them. I hear a gobble out in front of me so I sit down up with the gun and yelped, they gobbled so I cut a couple times , they gobbled and I sit silent and waited.

A couple minutes goes by and hear comes a red head right at me perfect coming right in on a string .

Bang ! The 20 gauge yet roars again - 7:30 Im done.
around 18Lbs , 3/4 spurs and 8.5 beard

My setup and the bird

Old 04-25-2014, 06:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good job, especially sneaking around to head them off. It's not an easy thing to do especially if you lose sight of them for a moment you have no idea at that time if they spot you or not. Thinking of it its probably the safer way to do it since keeping them in sight means they would more than likely spot you, but good job on the meal.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

Congrats Adrian on a job well done!! Nice bird to if I may say so myself.. Yes those turkeys can be very hard to figure out. Just when you think you have them figured wham here comes a game changer.. Congrats on out smarting them and getting a head of them in time for a shot without spooking them..

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 04-25-2014 at 02:41 PM.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:01 AM
Typical Buck

Congrats on your great hunt. I love my turkey chair but they can be such a hassle in the mornings. I usually just leave it behind
Old 04-25-2014, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

WTG Adrian!!! What's that white stuff under your hat?
Old 04-25-2014, 01:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on a fine bird.
Old 04-25-2014, 01:49 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Hey WTG Adrain but geez look at all that gray hair!

Oh and to make you feel better at my above comment. I missed again for the third year in a row with my daughter. I have always wanted to take a double. Well this yr I had 1st shot but flew that arrow a bit high! And we won't talk about the last 2 yrs LOL.
My Kid connected tho to a nice 4 yr old - 1 and 1/4 spurs......

JW

Last edited by JW; 04-25-2014 at 01:55 PM.
Old 04-25-2014, 02:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by JW
Hey WTG Adrain but geez look at all that gray hair!

My Kid connected tho to a nice 4 yr old - 1 and 1/4 spurs......

JW
Congrats to your daughter JW! It is always great to have the young ones participate with the hunting! Congrats to you as well for taking her out there with you!
Old 04-26-2014, 02:59 AM
Fork Horn

Congrats! Way to keep after them!
Old 04-26-2014, 07:36 PM
neb
Typical Buck

Awesome bird and good job!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.