HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - First tag done
Thread: First tag done
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2014, 06:16 AM
Adrian J Hare
Nontypical Buck

Default First tag done

Started at day break right off the roost. 4 adult gobblers talking back to a number of hens. I'm setup along a creek with a field in front of me and the birds are to my hard right, kind a behind me. They all flydown in a field across the creek and strut there stuff to the hens.

I start cutting and into yelping and they all respond. Not long and one gobbler breaks and starts in my direction. As he closes the gap from some couple hundred yards down to about 70 the rest start to follow. They work their way into about 60 yards and then start cutting behind me. I turn in the Turkey lounger chair :angry: stupid thing (not a morning pc of equipment) I lock up with the gun up as the gobbler in the lead closes the gap about 50 yards on the other side of the creek. All of a sudden The dreaded PUTT and a hen picks something out and she goes into a putting stage for 20 minutes and the group turns and walks back to the field they came in on and away from me.

As they disappeared in the woods I got up left that lounging chair and off and cross the creek and circled to get in front of them. I figured they were heading to a corn field on the same property so I did a wide sneak and found a spot as I thought I would be in front of them. I hear a gobble out in front of me so I sit down up with the gun and yelped, they gobbled so I cut a couple times , they gobbled and I sit silent and waited.

A couple minutes goes by and hear comes a red head right at me perfect coming right in on a string .

Bang ! The 20 gauge yet roars again - 7:30 Im done.
around 18Lbs , 3/4 spurs and 8.5 beard

My setup and the bird