Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
winchester super x turkey load >

winchester super x turkey load

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

winchester super x turkey load

Old 04-13-2014, 05:45 AM
Spike

This is my first year turkey hunting so I started off cheap I have a winchester 1300 xtr with the truglo gobbler stopper extreme ported choke. I picked up the winchester super x turkey loads and #6. Just patterned them yesterday I'm not an expert but I think they did ok. Did the 10" circles at 20 yards 318 pellets at 30 yard 146.

winchester super x turkey load-image.jpg
Old 04-13-2014, 05:46 AM
Spike

Here is the 20 yardwinchester super x turkey load-image.jpg
Old 04-14-2014, 02:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Targets look good. Now you just need to try different loads to really see what makes your gun tick. Ask a few buddies who shoot different shells than you and ask to borrow 2-3 shells or trade and see how they pattern against what you already have. Cheap route and open to variety. That and try different shot sizes, you already shot 6's, try 5's then 4's.
Most guns shoot 5's better than 4's because of the amount of pellets. And don't get caught up in the speed thing. Turkey loads do not have to be fast, just dense!!!! I use a load of 4's as my 3rd shot just because of the possible need to shoot a flying away bird and I want penetration and bone breaking energy. Hope it helps.

Last edited by SecondChance; 04-20-2014 at 02:28 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by buckman11
hi,

after giving it much thought i decided i couldnt bring myself to spend 20 dollars on a box of longbeard xr. so i decided to go after winchester super x. DO NOT CONFUSE WITH WINCHESTER DOUBLE X, I THOUGHT ABOUT DOUBLE X AT FIRST BUT MY LOCAL STORE ONLY CARRIES 5 SHOT IN DOUBLE X. so my question is, does anybody use winchester super x. what was your experience. how does it pattern. and is their a better low cost load than super x that i dont know about. i will be shooting 3 inch 4 shot

thanks in advance
I haven't tried super-X loads for turkey but have used them for other birds and they worked well. I have used Winchester's XX loads in 3 inch #4's and their 3.5" in #5's. I used the 3.5's yesterday with good luck at about 50 yards (only shot I was gonna get). I have previously used Hevi-Shot 3" #4's and was a little more impressed. I am very curious to see how well these work for you.

Like others have said, different loads/brands sometimes pattern differently in different guns. How far are you planning to shoot? If it's shorter ranges, you'll likely do just fine. Most of the high-priced loads are designed (at least they claim) to shoot at extended distances and thus cost more. If you're not trying to achieve that extended distance, you should do just fine. Let everybody know how you do and good luck.

Last edited by CalHunter; 04-14-2014 at 03:22 PM.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:22 AM
Spike

All I shoot are Winchester Turkey Loads. I've patterned the Supreme, Double X and Long beard. all in #5. It would of been 20$ well spent on the Long beard, I got an absolutely devastating pattern with mine, and 90% of the patterns Ive seen from the load have been as well. But honestly you cant go wrong with any of the Winchester loads...They will smoke Thunder Chicken
Old 05-01-2014, 11:22 AM
Typical Buck

The Winchester double x shells do fine for me. I whacked mine at 54 yards and sure done a number on his head. I haven't tried the longbeards, my students say they shoot good but I don't need them.
Old 05-01-2014, 02:33 PM
Spike

I shoot Federal 3 1/2" #5 and have taken multiple birds with no issues. I Love that ammo.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just filled out my 5th season bird tag this past friday AM in 29minutes from leaving the truck. Was sitting down to order breakfast by 0730hrs. Took a double with my turkey guide at 21yds with LongBeard 3" 6's and a Hastings .0675 choke in a Super X2 and scope. The end result would not make a family site picture!!!

Landowner was less than 100yds behind us feeding the cattle and thought we had just fired 1 shot we shot so close together.
Both birds came in silent from behind us while we were listening to birds in front that we had just walked under to crawl down a rock cliff and were flying down into the pasture the farmer was in feeding his cattle. We never knew our birds were there till they were within 15yds. TOO LATE!!!! Both birds were 2 yr olds, weighed around 20lbs each and sported 10" n 11" beards with each having 1-1/8th to 1-1/4" spurs.