Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Osceola hunt

Old 11-15-2013, 05:32 PM
car
Typical Buck

Default Osceola hunt

Hi guys, I'm looking at doing a Osceola turkey hunt in 2014. Any suggestion on a place to hunt. I checked a few outfitters and the price they charge is a bit more than I would like to spend. How hard is DIY for Osceola? I've been pretty lucky on eastern here in Ohio. I'm open for suggestions.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

I was stationed in FL for 4 years with the Navy. I never hunted Osceolas. At the time I wasn't much into turkeys and when I did hunt them I just hunted around Pensacola, where I lived, and those birds are Easterns.

The prices you see for the guided hunts are high because the guys that want the turkey slam have to get an Osceola and the outfitters that control the private land know this and charge accordingly. However, there is something like 15 million acres of public hunting land in FL. They have several Wildlife Management Areas (WMAs) that are supposed to be really good for Osceolas. Like any good hunting, the permits are limited but it doesn't cost but a couple of bucks to apply for them.

The Florida Wildlife Commission (FWC) has a good website that has a lot of really good info. If I was you I'd look there and check out the WMAs in the Osceola range. Note, they do not live in the entire state. Basically they exist from Tampa and down. Birds in North FL are all Easterns. Once you have an idea what WMAs are going to work, contact FWC and see if they can get you in touch with a biologist or warden that covers those WMAs.

Another thing to consider is offering a swap hunt. The deer in FL are a small deer. Someone that owns land with Osceolas on it may be willing to swap a hunt for one of those big Ohio whitetails.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator

First thing I did was check the NWTF website for where the Osceola lives. I found an outfitter and went from there. I used an outfitter but I did it myself. Got a cheaper rate going semi guided.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:09 AM
Spike

Start here because unless you get a lease, an outfitter, or know someone who owns land, you'll be hunting WMAs:

http://myfwc.com/hunting/wma-brochures
http://myfwc.com/hunting/by-species/turkey/
Old 12-29-2013, 05:12 AM
Spike

I have some land to hunt in northwest missouri you are more than welcome to come here and hunt if you like.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by mizzufan
I have some land to hunt in northwest missouri you are more than welcome to come here and hunt if you like.
That's a generous offer but if the man wants an Osceola he has to get it in FL. They ain't available anywhere else.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:36 PM
car
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by mizzufan

Thanks for the offer but, some things have changed a bit. My big trip is going to be go out to Wy in the fall to hunt. So I won't be heading to Florida to hunt turkey. I might try to go to KY or WV to hunt turkey this spring, alot closer.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Check out Chappys outfitters .com they are doing only 5 hunts this year and the success is very good if you can sit still. if you want me as a guide " let them know it " lol its just a joke to b
Bret....
Old 01-13-2014, 05:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

HaHaHaHa lol lol

Last edited by Mr. Longbeard; 01-13-2014 at 06:04 AM.