Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Turkey hunting in the fall? >

Turkey hunting in the fall?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Turkey hunting in the fall?

Old 09-29-2013, 08:43 PM
Fork Horn

Default Turkey hunting in the fall?

How do you guys like to turkey hunt in the fall?

I've hunted spring turkey but never in the fall. I've got a field where a 2 hens and about 30 poults come to every single day and stay from daylight to about 9 am then they head into the woods. The poults are about as big as the momma hen now. I'm just looking for some meat so I wouldn't have a problem taking one.

I'm gonna try to slip in and set up where I think they come out of the woods from the roost. If they don't come close enough will calling to them work?
Old 09-30-2013, 04:01 AM
Fork Horn

Based on what you've said, I would set up in or near the field where they enter while it is still dark, maybe set up a pop-up blind. If you do bump them from the roost going in, there is a very good likelihood they will regroup close to the roost tree.

If they make it to the field and you aren't close enough for a shot, calling may or not work to bring them in, but it's not a given. I would try to scatter them, either by running full speed at them and yelling like a madman, or by firing a shot over their heads (obviously, you would want to make sure you aren't pointing your gun in the direction of someone's house, a treestand with a bowhunter in it, etc). They will most likely regroup in the woods closest to where they were scattered from.

Good luck & be safe!
Old 09-30-2013, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator

If your going to call use a lost hen yelp or a Kee Kee
Old 10-01-2013, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Kee kee's are where it's at in the fall. If you can't kill one by busting one in their normal pattern, bust them up, as Uncle said, and start calling about 15 minutes later, close to where they were before. Kee kee's have worked the best for me in the past, but lost hen yelps will work too, as the master stated.