Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Fall Turkey

Old 08-05-2013, 07:10 PM
Spike

Default Fall Turkey

Hey guys this is my first year actually hunting and although i know its daunting task but I would like take a turkey with my bow. And my question was can you hunt a fall turkey just like a spring one? meaning can you sit and call them to you or is it more luck that they wander by? And would you use one of those broadheads that decapitate the turkey or just a normal broadhead work fine. Thanks!
Old 08-15-2013, 02:43 PM
Fork Horn

Two main ways to hunt in the fall. You can find a flock
and bust them so they fly in all directions. Then find a
place nearby to kee-kee call . They should try to reform
the flock within an hour or so. Or you can, figure out
where they feed, and how they travel and try to be there
first for an ambush. Hunting Turkeys with a bow is
tough without a blind especially when you have several
birds nearby ---many eyes to catch the movement as
you draw. But it's not impossible, you need to pick the right moment to draw when the bird is looking in the directly opposite direction or
head is behind a tree.

Good Luck
Old 09-08-2013, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Never taken one with a bow but have seen plenty of guys and gals do it mostly from a blind but some get away with it without a blind. I have a corn feeder and have them coming in before the season but must remove it before the season but they will hang in the area for a while I think and will try to get one from a blind. Movement is key as has been said you must draw carefully with those good eyes on you and around you. Good luck and bag a bird!
Old 10-23-2013, 02:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like to use turkey broadheads for my bow. You'll probably have a better chance for a close range bow shot on a tom during the spring season than the fall. I did bag a young jake with my bow --- during a springtime hunt --- but now I use a crossbow {bow only areas} for turkey hunting. I missed that jake twice...one at seven feet, the other at 22 yards and finally bagged him with a 30 yard shot.