Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Hevi shot is impressive! >

Hevi shot is impressive!

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Hevi shot is impressive!

Old 05-30-2013, 05:51 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Gents Please go back and go read or re-read the HNI rules.

Never mind let me help you as I see several here are do nothing more than to argue!

Why after 30 years of Turkey hunting and being a NWTF member most of that time (the organizations has some flaws and I quit for a while) I read about this 100/10 rule now......
It is after all just an opinion and not a rule. Just another way to pattern a gun. And a 10" circle - the turkeys head is nothing more than the size of an egg and with the neck fits about 1/5 of that circle. You live by it great....others do other things to make sure their weapon of choice no matter what the gauge kills cleanly and quickly when they fire at their intended target. Ethical hunters do that.

And then there are some I am not so sure they don't work for a given company and if I can prove it then posting said opinion can become spam....as they are pushing a product.

So move on.....

Link to rules
http://www.huntingnet.com/staticpage...il.aspx?id=291

#8. Do not engage in "flame-wars" or excessive exchange of confrontational postings. Debate is important, but users should not try to "pick a fight" with one another.

#12. While we encourage lively debate, we will not tolerate personal attacks. Any person attacking another forum member will receive a warning and have their message removed. Any future incident thereafter will result in that member being removed from the forum. Warnings have been given - there will be no more!

#15. Posts directed to a specific person can be considered off topic and will be deleted by our moderators

And then
#17. Forum rules and guidelines are not up for debate. This is not a democracy, but rather a private forum. Anyone openly debating the rules we have set in place will be removed. Moderators of this forum are not to be argued with when enforcing forum rules and guidelines. Anyone arguing with a Moderator against disciplinary measures will be removed from the forum. If you have a problem with a Moderator please email [email protected] and we will address the issue as soon as possible.

We reserve the right to delete any message for any or no reason whatsoever. You remain solely responsible for the content of your messages, and you agree to indemnify and hold harmless, HuntingNet.Com and their agents with respect to any claim based upon transmission of your message(s). We reserve the right to revoke your membership to the forum or disable your posting ability for any or no reason whatsoever.

We at HuntingNet.com also reserve the right to reveal your identity (or whatever information we know about you) in the event of a complaint or legal action arising from any message posted by you. If you have any questions about these rules or want to report an infraction of the rules, send an email to [email protected].

JW

Last edited by JW; 05-30-2013 at 05:59 AM.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Adrian J Hare
w

If I can take them closer I would any day. The important part is I know my gun and have no problem taking birds with it. I will never shoot a 12 again...

Why???

Higher pellet count and lots of money in choke tubes... Wouldn't that = better gun???
Old 06-14-2013, 07:23 PM
Fork Horn

My advice for those new to the sport and assuring a clean kill, is to pattern your gun and keep it simple.
When you pattern your gun at 40 yards draw a turkey size head and neck on paper.
If you can get 3 or more pellets consistently in that area at that distance then that is the distance you should be shooting or closer. To have a count on the head like this your pellets will be about 1 cm. apart on paper. Simple it's the pellets on the head and the neck that counts after all.
I should add that I have missed birds at 10-15 yards and I know they are a clean miss. Almost all the Turkeys I shoot are within 30 yards.
I would hesitate to shoot a Turkey at 60 yards although it shows in paper that I can do it, simply because if that Turkey walks away I have a feeling it won't be a clean miss as a 10 yard shot. I most likely would just be giving the Coyotes a taste of that bird.
Now if I plan to shoot at 55 yards then I will pattern my gun at 55 yards using the same method, using the heaviest shot allowed.
Old 06-15-2013, 04:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by huntrfishr
My advice for those new to the sport and assuring a clean kill, is to pattern your gun and keep it simple.
When you pattern your gun at 40 yards draw a turkey size head and neck on paper.
If you can get 3 or more pellets consistently in that area at that distance then that is the distance you should be shooting or closer. To have a count on the head like this your pellets will be about 1 cm. apart on paper. Simple it's the pellets on the head and the neck that counts after all.
I should add that I have missed birds at 10-15 yards and I know they are a clean miss. Almost all the Turkeys I shoot are within 30 yards.
I would hesitate to shoot a Turkey at 60 yards although it shows in paper that I can do it, simply because if that Turkey walks away I have a feeling it won't be a clean miss as a 10 yard shot. I most likely would just be giving the Coyotes a taste of that bird.
Now if I plan to shoot at 55 yards then I will pattern my gun at 55 yards using the same method, using the heaviest shot allowed.
***You might as well throw rocks at em if you're happy with saying three pellets is sufficient to justify shooting at a bird with that kind of a pattern! No way in my book is that near enough pellets in and around the kill zone---just sayin!!!
Old 06-15-2013, 07:24 AM
Typical Buck

That's kind of interesting. He didn't say just 3 pellets in the pattern he said 3 or more pellets in the head and and neck I will stretch it and say if he meant every time he shot he had 3 or more pellets in the brain and spine of the turkey it would in fact be a kill !!
Old 06-15-2013, 09:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Timbrhuntr
That's kind of interesting. He didn't say just 3 pellets in the pattern he said 3 or more pellets in the head and and neck I will stretch it and say if he meant every time he shot he had 3 or more pellets in the brain and spine of the turkey it would in fact be a kill !!
***I know exactly what he said and I will stick to my reply that in no way would I be satisfied to shoot at a bird at ANY distance where as few as 3 pellets are hitting the head/neck area. That's what got this whole debate started in the first place where a couple members are saying they can kill a bird at long distance (60 to 76 yards). Sure, that's correct IF a pellet hits the brain or breaks the neck bone. I would hope that most people would not shoot at a bird at any distance where they know through pattern tests that only 3 pellets have a CHANCE at killing him, rather than 15 or more in that kill zone every time for a 100% sure dead bird.
Old 07-01-2013, 03:35 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
***I know exactly what he said and I will stick to my reply that in no way would I be satisfied to shoot at a bird at ANY distance where as few as 3 pellets are hitting the head/neck area. That's what got this whole debate started in the first place where a couple members are saying they can kill a bird at long distance (60 to 76 yards). Sure, that's correct IF a pellet hits the brain or breaks the neck bone. I would hope that most people would not shoot at a bird at any distance where they know through pattern tests that only 3 pellets have a CHANCE at killing him, rather than 15 or more in that kill zone every time for a 100% sure dead bird.
I know personally I will never archery hunt again or rifle hunt for that matter as only one projectile has a chance of killing that animal you need at minimum 15.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by bghunter777
I know personally I will never archery hunt again or rifle hunt for that matter as only one projectile has a chance of killing that animal you need at minimum 15.
***That's good and another brilliant statement that makes about as much sense as everything else you keep posting and it only took you two weeks to come up with it, LOL!!! Maybe you should quit rocking the boat and coming on here just to try and start arguments and think before you post because if it took you two weeks to come up with that one I feel sorry for you!!!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 07-01-2013 at 04:29 AM.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:01 AM
Typical Buck

I personally don't know why he would even bother probably just bored, after your last post I knew there was no point !
Old 07-01-2013, 12:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think he needs to go back and read rule #8 that JW posted about not just posting to try and pick a fight with one another because that was certainly what that sarcastic, silly post was for!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 07-01-2013 at 12:24 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.