Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Better Days Ahead

Old 05-11-2013, 05:57 AM
Fork Horn

Default Better Days Ahead

I posted this on another Forum and would like to share it with my fellow hunters.

Better Days Ahead...

The day started right. I was awake before the alarm clock sounded off.
The rain has stopped. In my mind I was ready to go but the old body was hesitant.
It took a good cup of coffee to get things going and I found myself in my driveway anxiously waiting for my friend to show him how Turkey hunting is done. 7:05 No show. 7:15 I slowly walk towards my blind as I concluded my friend was not up to going out in the dampness left over by the overnight rain, considering he will be 91 yrs old this year.
On my walk in I managed to halt my walk in mid step as 3 dark figures appeared like an aberration in the middle of my hunting field.
I froze. A few steps backwards enabled me to use the cover of the pine trees, using the blind to shield me from view as I inched towards it's door.
Inside the blind I breath a sigh of relief, savoring success on not spooking the otherwise wary birds.
I can hear myself saying,Boy that Tom is twice the size of those hens, puffed up like he owned the place.
I watched them for about 30 minutes before I gave out some clucks and some soft yelps.
With heads straight up to the air they seem to be sizing up the source of the sound, eyes on my direction. A few more yelps and here they come. The 2 hens leading the Big Tom.
Somewhere along the way I must have sounded like a Bad Mama hen as the 2 ladies verged to my right but still coming within 60 yards.
They proceeded inside the bush. The Tom although behind was making headway but nothing is engraved in stone. 60 yards in front of me he stood there for a while, undecided where to go, prancing like a king. I said to myself another 10 yards and he would be a dead king. Yet today was not the day, it took great effort not to squeeze the trigger at 60 yards. I wanted a guaranteed shot. I hesitantly watched a subdued Tom gingerly following the trail of 2 peace loving hens to the bush.
The rest of the day was like the first hour. Funny and frustrating.
Every time I decided it was a time for a break I see birds coming out 200 yards behind me where I was seating.
This happened twice once when I took a break for lunch and then when I went for afternoon coffee break.
One of the groups had 11 birds, 2 Big Toms and a good sized Jake, mingled with the hens.
I thought I had their schedule figured out right to the minute, not today.
Lucky birds.

I just happen to have pictures.

CHEERS,
louie