Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Extremely aggravated

Old 04-29-2013, 12:24 PM
Fork Horn

Sorry to hear about your ruined hunt. The idiot in the truck should be banned from hunting. I have had guys walk right up to me while i was working a gobbler! why would you stalk a hen in gobbler season? I also had guys walk between me and the gobbler i was calling ( no other calling going on but mine) and try to ambush the gobbler i was working! there are no reasons for this but ignorance and jealousy! you can't legistate common courtesy and good sense. i hope you have a better hunting season and don't run into any idiots.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:13 PM
Fork Horn

Its people like that, that rub me the wrong way.

Saturday I went to hunt in a ground blind that I had set up the week before. As I walked up I saw an older gentlemen setting up some decoys in the same location. Even though is private land there are quite a few people that have permission to hunt there. He basically told me he had been hunting there for the past 40 years, and I was completely surprised I hadn't met him before. Needless to say I backed off, even though it was a great location that I had been scouting for awhile. He was there first so I merely found another place to hunt.... which didnt work out, but hopefully that other gentlemen got a bird.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Arrowmaster
I began hunting a private piece of ground recently. Now I understand that land meets up with others land an all. The problem I have is Im all set up and hearing birds 200 yards away (5 to be exact). I hear a quad coming and then shut off. The guy starts coming towards my set up. We meet and talk about it. Basically he was on another property and was a decent guy and pointed where his blind was which was 300 yards from my set up on the neighboring property. Not closer to the gobbling turkeys. So I go back to my blind and wait for flydown not concerned with the other hunter. Well after flydown and turkeys headed my way. I have a good feeling and the birds are just over 100 yards away, I hear a truck. I turn and see the truck driving on the grassy field edge around the woods. There is no way the guy couldnt see the blind and my decoys. Now Im on the property Im suppose to be on field and all. The guy is dressed in camo and he proceeds to drive 3 feet from my blind and almost ran over my decoys in the process. He then slows and starts blowing his horn to scare off the turkeys. Then off he went and drove away. He did have decoys in his truck. So now the hunt is ruined. The guy was tresspassing. I couldnt get his license number or I would have reported him. I just dont understand why some people do this. He was in the wrong and I payed the price of his idiotic actions.
I'm calling B.S. on the story as I find it hard to believe someone drove 3 feet from your blind ruining your hunt on property you have permission to access and you didn't come out of the blind to stop the truck and at least ask "WTF are you doing?".

There is no way I would have let that situation unfold as you explain without letting the truck driver know he f'ed up my hunt.

What I am missing?
Old 04-30-2013, 11:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

here we go.....
Old 04-30-2013, 03:54 PM
Fork Horn

Default bummer

Originally Posted by Arrowmaster
I began hunting a private piece of ground recently. Now I understand that land meets up with others land an all. The problem I have is Im all set up and hearing birds 200 yards away (5 to be exact). I hear a quad coming and then shut off. The guy starts coming towards my set up. We meet and talk about it. Basically he was on another property and was a decent guy and pointed where his blind was which was 300 yards from my set up on the neighboring property. Not closer to the gobbling turkeys. So I go back to my blind and wait for flydown not concerned with the other hunter. Well after flydown and turkeys headed my way. I have a good feeling and the birds are just over 100 yards away, I hear a truck. I turn and see the truck driving on the grassy field edge around the woods. There is no way the guy couldnt see the blind and my decoys. Now Im on the property Im suppose to be on field and all. The guy is dressed in camo and he proceeds to drive 3 feet from my blind and almost ran over my decoys in the process. He then slows and starts blowing his horn to scare off the turkeys. Then off he went and drove away. He did have decoys in his truck. So now the hunt is ruined. The guy was tresspassing. I couldnt get his license number or I would have reported him. I just dont understand why some people do this. He was in the wrong and I payed the price of his idiotic actions.
don't exclude just plain greed or ignorance, maybe he thought if he could scatter the flock he would shoot one on the get together. probably thought you were ruining his hunt, who knows?

cheers
Old 04-30-2013, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rogerstv
I'm calling B.S. on the story as I find it hard to believe someone drove 3 feet from your blind ruining your hunt on property you have permission to access and you didn't come out of the blind to stop the truck and at least ask "WTF are you doing?".

There is no way I would have let that situation unfold as you explain without letting the truck driver know he f'ed up my hunt.

What I am missing?

You can call BS all you want but this is a true story.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have no doubt that this a true story.. Some people have no respect at all of other peoples property. They have no respect of anyone else hunting either. They only care about themselves and there own personal greed.

Here is something that I stumbled on by accident yesterday.. There is a section of gated road that a paper company owns. They keep it gated once the snow hits the ground until mud season is over with. Yesterday I drove up to the gate and it was open. No problem I thought and decided to drive up threw and see what the turkey situation would be like. This roughly 45 miles of gated road. I drove up around 30 miles on it and turned around. I noticed a pick up truck parked by a locked gate and 2 hunters were walking I stopped and asked them how come the gate was still locked there.. They had no idea as of why. Later on I met a company pickup and we stopped and talked for a couple of minutes. He informed me that some one else had left the gate open by accident. I told them I was sorry to have drove up not knowing about it supposed to be locked.

Here is the rest of the story. The company truck had 2 workers in it and to other people on back of the truck with shotguns and all. I am debating about reporting this action by these guys. I do know it is illegal to shoot game from a truck.. But, that I did not see them doing.. I just saw them riding in there like that and telling me the gate was supposed to be locked still. It would be different IMO if the working crew drove in and happened to get a turkey. That is a completely different story.. So I do not know whether to say anything or just pretend I did not see this.. After all they open their land up for all to use. Perhaps if I told the company what is going on they would stop these so called workers from doing this?? I am just not sure about what to do. I did drive up to the gate today and it is now locked back up..

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 05-01-2013 at 08:27 AM.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Can we say Rednecks ! The eye cue of 2 and no common sense to understand that they make us all look bad...
Old 05-01-2013, 10:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Adrian J Hare
Can we say Rednecks ! The eye cue of 2 and no common sense to understand that they make us all look bad...
I agree with you and whether it is for the good or bad of it.. I did turn those guys in this afternoon after I had gotten home from hunting.. I am not sure what they will be able to do about it. But, I am sure these guys will be putting it on the back burner now.. Someone will be notifying the company that owns the land of this crap at least..

Gated or not their free pass is about to end now..

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 05-01-2013 at 11:47 AM.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:09 PM
Spike

I honesty believe that there are less issues on public land than private land. One of my coworkers hasn't heard but very few birds on property that in the past has been full. He said that the guys on the property adjoining him have put the corn out heavy and slaughtered the birds.

In my 20+ years of hunting public land in Alabama I have never had issues even remotely similar to what you guys have mentioned.
same here. i hunted private ground once and we got shafted there but never have problems on public