Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
O/U for upland and turkey? >

O/U for upland and turkey?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

O/U for upland and turkey?

Old 04-16-2013, 09:05 AM
Spike

Default O/U for upland and turkey?

Hey all - buddy is going to take me turkey'ing this year and told me to get a camo shotgun... which by most accounts isn't really needed from what I've read.... but funds are tight so looking for something can can do double duty with upland birds too. I was researching the yldiz (sp??) o/u as another friend told me o/u is great for little birds since you can swing faster on them. Didn't know if that o/u would be a good choice for turkey and upland? Seems if I do that I would need a better shoulder pad and maybe some tape to cover the shiny breech area.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by OzarkPA
Hey all - buddy is going to take me turkey'ing this year and told me to get a camo shotgun... which by most accounts isn't really needed from what I've read.... but funds are tight so looking for something can can do double duty with upland birds too. I was researching the yldiz (sp??) o/u as another friend told me o/u is great for little birds since you can swing faster on them. Didn't know if that o/u would be a good choice for turkey and upland? Seems if I do that I would need a better shoulder pad and maybe some tape to cover the shiny breech area.
Save yourself some money by not going the camo route. Generally the camo guns are more expensive and people have been blasting Turkey with shotguns since before camo shotguns were around.

Anyone here will tell you that it's really not needed, but they do look cool.

O/U are great for the reason you've stated... they tend to swing faster and you can choke the barrels with 2 different chokes, one for those close up shots and one for the shots that are a little further out.

A lot of pheasant hunters around here use them, but you're also limited to 2 shots before reloading... that said, I don't usually shoot at more than 2 pheasants by the time the rest of the roosters break away or get taken by others in the party.

I think an O/U would be a great choice, otherwise you really can't go wrong with the faithful Remington 870 pump... prices on those are pretty reasonable.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:16 AM
Typical Buck

"O/U are great for the reason you've stated... they tend to swing faster and you can choke the barrels with 2 different chokes, one for those close up shots and one for the shots that are a little further out."

That could be a real advantage for turkey. Put a super-tight turkey choke on one side, a regular full on the other. Turkey chokes are so tight that if the bird is too close, you won't get much of a pattern at all.

I agree the camo is not necessary, but I tape my 870 for turkey hunting -- just makes me feel better.

Good luck.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:30 AM
Spike

Thanks guys - some where I read that if you don't get a lot of time to practice the o/u or autos are a better choice for upland since you stay on target better - unless you get a lot of practice, and 3 kids 5 and under keep my practice time down...!!! Since the yldiz is $399 (IIRC) that's why I thought it might be a good choice too.