Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

setting up my blind....

Old 04-03-2013, 04:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default setting up my blind....

After 8 years I FINALLY got permission to hunt this honey hole that has a great flock of birds on it! It has literally never been hunted and every day for the last 2 weeks birds have been present and strutting every morning and they are still wandering around every evening. I am HOPING they stay put til opening day in 7 days!
My question is, my hunting buddy is dissabled and must use a blind. But I am torn about setting it up in advance vs morning of the hunt. If I wait til the day we hunt... Should I put it against the tree line? I was considering putting it in the center of the field for better "reach" but I don't want to spook them.

Thanks so much and good luck out there!

Don
Old 04-03-2013, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator

I myself would put it in the tree line...
Old 04-03-2013, 06:35 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Arrowmaster
I myself would put it in the tree line...
Thanks... my gut told me the same thing.

Thank you!
Old 04-03-2013, 08:40 PM
Typical Buck

Most hunters put them in the tree line but I have seen plenty right in the middle of a field killing turkeys with no problem.

I would see where they fly down and put the blind within gun range of that even in the wide open. Try it for one day, you always have tomorrow.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:01 PM
JW
Super Moderator

BDB - check out the Tips forum - I have used a blind and offer lots of tips.....

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/spec...nd-blinds.html

Putting the blind up to as close to their normal travel route is what I would do. Always keep your windows tiny and never open the back to highlight yourself. Even a wierd shadow will spook birds.....keep the sun to your back.....decoys is sed can stay tight - I put mine 5 to 7 steps in front of me......and I never brush my blind in - there is no need.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:50 PM
Fork Horn

Default blinds

some turkey some times don't like blinds just like some don't like decoys. i prefer to brush my blind, set up earlier rather than later and let them get used to it. remember you are hunting turkey and turkey will do what turkey will do, they don't much care what you think and keep in mind that some days, nothing works and some days ya can't beat them off. good luck cause when you think you have it right by the butt, ya probably don't

cheers