Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Dekes

Old 03-17-2013, 04:55 PM
Fork Horn

Default Dekes

I've had mixed results with dekes - often having them ignored - occasionally having a tom come right up to them.

Looking to replace my old inflatables with an AvianX deke - anyone here use these?

Any preference over the feeder, breeder, or lookout hen deke?
Old 03-19-2013, 07:29 PM
Fork Horn

Cant speak for the avian but ive had good luck with a feeder hen inflatable.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:42 AM
Fork Horn

Mounted/stuffers are the best! Upright hen is my fav position.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:35 AM
Fork Horn

I prefer the flambeau foam dekes. They are easy, light weight, versatile, and double as extra cushion on your back if you're not using them.

http://www.flambeauoutdoors.com/hunt...URKEY&s=DECOYS
Old 03-21-2013, 05:47 AM
Spike

I have some pretty old Flambeau decoys I use, the fold up type. They are pretty flimsy, don't really trust them in a breeze, but they have treated me pretty good. My issue with decoys in the past few years is my turkey hunting always seems so mobile, or "on the go" that I never seem to get into a setup where I can just sit and wait for them to come to me. I've generally roosted birds the night before and don't know what direction they will head in the AM, so I get as close as possible in the AM and can't waste precious time or leaf crackling sound setting up decoys. My last two birds, one I had to tip toe my way to a spot to sit..took me literally 10 minutes to walk 20 yds I was going so slow as i heard one wake up and gobble 60yds up the hill from me....so no decoy time there. Then last year I spotted a Tom 500yds out in a field na and had to circle around and belly crawl 75yds to get him...again no decoy chance :-(. I'm a bit jealous of anyone who gets to calmly setup, put out decoys, and call!! :-)
Old 03-21-2013, 06:40 AM
Typical Buck

I have the AvianX "looker" decoy. Outside of a mounted bird the Avian and Dave Smith are the best looking decoys out there. I have yet to have an opportunity to get her in front of a bird.

Had a big tom last year standing in the middle of some clear cut that the deke would have had a great effect on. I had dumped the deke behind a log, not wanting to carry it a half mile across the clear cut and deep hollow. Since then I have learned to sling the decoy bag over my back rather than over my shoulder.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up

Still use 2 Feather-Flex decoys, the ones with their new fracked finish. Really looks life like and much cheaper than the over $100.00 ones.