HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Dekes
Thread: Dekes
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2013, 05:47 AM
White_Farm
Spike

I have some pretty old Flambeau decoys I use, the fold up type. They are pretty flimsy, don't really trust them in a breeze, but they have treated me pretty good. My issue with decoys in the past few years is my turkey hunting always seems so mobile, or "on the go" that I never seem to get into a setup where I can just sit and wait for them to come to me. I've generally roosted birds the night before and don't know what direction they will head in the AM, so I get as close as possible in the AM and can't waste precious time or leaf crackling sound setting up decoys. My last two birds, one I had to tip toe my way to a spot to sit..took me literally 10 minutes to walk 20 yds I was going so slow as i heard one wake up and gobble 60yds up the hill from me....so no decoy time there. Then last year I spotted a Tom 500yds out in a field na and had to circle around and belly crawl 75yds to get him...again no decoy chance :-(. I'm a bit jealous of anyone who gets to calmly setup, put out decoys, and call!! :-)