Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Turkey decoys, calls, and such >

Turkey decoys, calls, and such

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Turkey decoys, calls, and such

Old 02-27-2013, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am in the same camp as "Sheridan". Keep it simple.

One can head out into the turkey woods carrying so much stuff that they looks like a hiker trying to do the entire Appalachian Trail in one fell swoop. As much gobbler chasing as I sometimes end up doing, except for my old fat belly, I travel pretty light. A slate pot, a box call and couple of mouth calls does it for me. Couple of extra shot shells (I have been known to miss!), a peanut butter/jelly sandwich, two 16 oz. bottles of water and some "baby wipes" (just in case) .... and I am good for the day.
Old 03-17-2013, 05:44 PM
Fork Horn

Agreed on the keep it simple. I take 2 slates, 1 box and a few mouth calls. One hen decoy if im feeling spicey that day. I try to travel light but i do have days where ive loaded everything but the kitchen sink into my vest. This season is light!
Old 03-18-2013, 05:27 AM
Fork Horn

Well can't get much Simpler than me.Got an Old CVA Double Barrel,does good out to 25 yards,got couple Custom Slate and one Box Calls.

I found I can no longer use mouth call because I no longer have teeth.Found out with a Tom in front of me

big rockpile
Old 03-18-2013, 03:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Me and mouth calls don't git along well either.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:45 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Mojotex
"baby wipes" (just in case) ....
LOL... been there !!!!
Old 03-21-2013, 11:08 AM
Fork Horn

Just my .02 but i really like inflatable decoys. I have a few from sceery and a few from cherokee with the molded heads. From a distance they look awesome. Even up close the detail is pretty sweet. Not too hard on the wallet either!
Old 03-22-2013, 09:08 PM
Spike

There's a lot of good calls out there, and I recommend visiting a site that you can listen to the call before you buy it. I recommend a good slate call as a starter and a mouth call to get them in close. If the noise you are making with the mouth call sounds like a two tone yelp you should be good. The yelp starts with a high tone and ends on a low tone and a light two reed call is the best call to learn on. Try an Ozark Ridge Pro II sweet or Raspy. Their site also has a recording of each call so you can hear what it sounds like. Good luck this Spring!!