Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Turkey decoys, calls, and such >

Turkey decoys, calls, and such

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Turkey decoys, calls, and such

Old 02-01-2013, 05:52 PM
Spike

Default Turkey decoys, calls, and such

post some pics about turkey decoys and calls. hoping to get a new decoy and call and unsure what to get. heres my decoy its the killer B by primos. made a little coat for it of some back feathers and wings. comes off very easy so u can run'N'gun
Old 02-01-2013, 06:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Everytime I hear all these concerns when turkey hunting (what gun, which model, what gauge, what choke, what load, what decoy, what call)..........
I say to myself; " bring them in close and then shoot them in the head" !
Old 02-02-2013, 05:44 AM
Spike

i know just startin to hunt by myself so i need a good call, i can make noise on a mouth but unsure if it sounds good. i know i can hit though, with my stoeger and i, we can shoot up to 50 yards,
Old 02-02-2013, 07:19 AM
Typical Buck

Lot of decent calls out there. Depends a bit on your budget too. A couple more reasonably priced calls I own and like are the Primos Jackpot in slate and a Knight & Hale all weather box (don't remember the actual name). If you want to spend a little more, I have a Woodhaven Real Hen box that I like as well. There's more expensive calls out there, but they are beyond my budget for turkey hunting. I use cheap locators, as I tend to lose them (Quaker Boy owl, Primos or HS crow).
Good luck.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:42 AM
Spike

is the jackpot a good one? the lil' jack or regular? and i found someone that makes custom call kits for 45 bucks.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:24 PM
Typical Buck

I think its decent for the price -- I'm talking about the slate version. A custom call would presumably be better, but you never know. I've got some cheap calls that are just cheap, and some that are pretty decent.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:16 AM
Fork Horn

Default gizzmo's

most calls are over rated, you have never heard two turkey sounding the same, don't worry about it, sometimes anything will work and sometimes the best don't do any better. as far as decoys, it has been my experience and i am at 28 birds has been sometimes they work, mostly they don't amount to a hill of beans and sometimes actually make the bird wary. i have seem many, many of the films on decoy's and have never come close to any of that happening to me and i have three different mfg. of coy's sometimes now i use them and sometimes i don't, just don't bet on them

cheers
Old 02-05-2013, 07:01 PM
Fork Horn

I'd start out cheap. Listen to your calls and compare them to what you hear in the wild. You might not notice some of the differences right away, but with experience, you will learn what noise they want. Sometimes you do everything right, but they turn around and run in the other direction. That's a part of turkey hunting.

The best practice I have ever had was when I cackle back and forth with a dominant hen. They get so fired up and come ready to run you out of the area.

Last year, my first time ever hunting in Texas, I just grabbed a good looking place to sit down. First time of the year I pulled my calls out and tried them. They all sounded like crap. Thought I'd be better off just going home, especially since it was very windy. Next thing I know, two toms come in silent. Sometimes even when your calls are terrible, the turkey will still come to investigate.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:59 PM
Spike

thanks for all the info. getting some stuff from youth group leader for free. getting the thunder chicken by flextone cause my buddy swears by it.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:38 PM
Spike

anybody know about these lohman 870 box calls???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.