Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

turkey choke

Old 02-11-2013, 08:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Call them in close, and then shoot them in the head - dead bird !
Old 02-11-2013, 09:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

"Call them in close, and then shoot them in the head - dead bird !"

Yep, that's the whole fun of turkey hunting, not seeing how far you can reach out and possibly wound one!
Old 02-11-2013, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
"Call them in close, and then shoot them in the head - dead bird !"

Yep, that's the whole fun of turkey hunting, not seeing how far you can reach out and possibly wound one!

Guns? You turkey hunt with a gun? You should be carrying nothing more than a 4 foot long stick into the turkey woods. If you can't call them into the range of a 4 foot stick then I'm sorry but you obviously aren't much of a turkey hunter.

See how stupid that (poor language ~ Edited by JW) sounds. Nothing wrong with setting up a gun that will kill turkeys on out there as long as you pattern it and know it's lethal killing range from both a pattern and penetration standpoint.

Last edited by JW; 02-12-2013 at 05:04 AM. Reason: language
Old 02-11-2013, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Indian Creek Choke Tube
Old 02-11-2013, 12:23 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Todd1700
Nothing wrong with setting up a gun that will kill turkeys on out there as long as you pattern it and know it's lethal killing range from both a pattern and penetration standpoint.

And therein lies the problem. Sure, you can set-up a gun that can kill turkeys out to 60 and 70 yards reliably...but do you realize how tight that pattern is at 30-40 yards? How about 20 yards?...about the size of a softball. Be off an inch, or the turkey moves his head and you whiff completely..or worse, cripple a bird. There's no easy answer.
A good, consistent, even pattern at 40 yards is an excellent measure of a turkey guns capability. Going either direction begins to limit its overall effectiveness at specific ranges.

Gman
Old 02-11-2013, 08:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Todd1700
Guns? You turkey hunt with a gun? You should be carrying nothing more than a 4 foot long stick into the turkey woods. If you can't call them into the range of a 4 foot stick then I'm sorry but you obviously aren't much of a turkey hunter.

See how stupid that ******* sounds. Nothing wrong with setting up a gun that will kill turkeys on out there as long as you pattern it and know it's lethal killing range from both a pattern and penetration standpoint.

Todd,

How does this one sound then; shoot them with the best "turkey" shotgun you got........Oh yea I almost forgot, "dead bird".

Last edited by Sheridan; 02-12-2013 at 09:30 AM.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:15 PM
Spike

X2

I agree to a point. I think if you got a long range 50 to 60 yard killer that shoots a very small pattern at 20 yards IMO you really need a scope. Then you could make them close shots count as well as the long ones.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:07 PM
Spike

Try the HeviShot turkey choke with Hevi-13 shotshells. I seriously doubt that you can pattern better or kill the turkeys better.