Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Turkey Roost

Old 02-09-2013, 09:18 AM
Fork Horn

Default Turkey Roost

This year will be my first year of turkey hunting. I saw a bunch of them while deer hunting in December. They were around me in trees and came down when it got light. They were everywhere around me all morning. My question is would this be a good place to set up or should I get some more stand off? I realize also they may move to other areas during the spring. Some pointers would be great, thanks!
Old 02-09-2013, 11:01 AM
Typical Buck

The place you saw them won't always be the place they will be in the spring. This area will be a starting point though. I am sure you know but right now the turkeys are in a winter pattern/group. They will intermingle and be in large groups of 50 or more (depending on the area and the population of course numbers could be higher or much lower) In the spring they start breaking up into breeding groups hens in one and Toms in other. they will even break down in smaller groups or singles too. They can sometimes roost together- depends on the trees they have, but in TN I'd say they might be spread out a bit more, just because you have so many trees and cover there. So the long answer is maybe I'd start there and put some trail cams up and see what there is to see. Also if they are there look for landing areas and set up about 100yds from the roost. You can get closer depending on the cover you have but the danger of setting up too close is busting them on the roost and when you do that the first time it will startle you! I promise that!

Last edited by firelt72; 02-09-2013 at 11:03 AM.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:12 PM
Fork Horn

During the last month before the season opens plan on a lot
Of early mornings. The toms should be gobbling on the
Roost for 1/2hr or more before they fly down. Try to figure
Out where several different toms roost without disturbing them.
Once they have flown down and left you can find a big tree
100-150 yards from the roost area. Prepare the spot so
You can slip in quietly in the dark and just sit down without
Having to make any noise. Then make sure you can find your way
There quietly in the dark.

Next step is to figure out where they go after they fly down.
There will probably be a clearing in the woods, field---
Someplace that the Tom frequently goes to strutting and
Gobble ---this will be a great spot to set up some morning
If calling to the birds near the roost doesn't work.

Remember two things call less than you want to--- once a Tom has heard you and answers your call there is a good chance he will
Eventually come to look for you, could be 5 min. Or several
Hours later. Second, one of the best times to call a Tom
In is late morning after the hens have gone to sit on their
Nests. Also when you set up try to sit in the shade makes
It much harder for the Tom to spot you. Good luck!
Old 02-09-2013, 05:36 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the pointers and notes. I'm looking forward to the season as it will be my first year. I just don't know a lot about turkey behavior and patterns yet.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:59 AM
Typical Buck

You can get very close while hunting turkeys, I hunt roost areas all the time if you have cover and they don't see you move get in close but just remember if they see you move they will be gone in most cases.
The turkeys you saw in December wont be there in the spring but most likely they will be within 3 miles of the December location so start looking and keep track of em or start looking 30 days before your season.