Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
870 20 ga. shot choke combo. >

870 20 ga. shot choke combo.

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

870 20 ga. shot choke combo.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:23 PM
Spike

Default 870 20 ga. shot choke combo.

I am a new member, and was wondering if anybody had a good setup for the 870 20. The gun is for my wife and I would like to reduce the recoil of a 3 in. mag. Does a ported choke help? I put a limb saver recoil pad on this seemed to help. I shot hevi 13 no. 7 through a rem. x full turkey choke. It is ok but not a 40 yard gun. Any info would be helpful.
Thanks, Gary Rad
Old 01-22-2013, 11:53 AM
Typical Buck

My wife shoots an 1100 20 gauge with 2 3/4 loads, her gun wont cahmber 3". I put a .562 hastings choke in it and it is wicked past 40. she's not comfortable shooting that far but if she needs to she has the right combo.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

To reduce the recoil, the simplest solution is to get a good pad. (Kick-eez for example). Ported turkey chokes are designed to slow the wad just before it exits the muzzle, making a tighter pattern.

Adding weight to the gun will reduce recoil, but there's the obvious trade-off of ease of handling/carrying. After a few hours of hiking, you'll feel all the ounces you're hauling. Check websites that cater to trap & skeet shooters for ideas on gun/barrel weights.

As for patterns, I'm sure there's a choke tube & ammo combination out there that will get you to 40yds. I would try to keep shots with a 20ga turkey load inside of 50yds. Check Remington for an x-full choke tube. These days, many factory tubes will hold their own against aftermarket specialty choke tubes. My best performing lead shot choke tube came from Win. with my 1300.

Last edited by JoeA; 01-23-2013 at 12:30 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:49 PM
Fork Horn

I use a Remington 870 youth model 20 gauge to hunt turkey every season. I have a primo's jellyhead choke and shoot Winchester Super Turkey XX rounds. keeps a fantastic pattern out to about 42-45 yards