Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Recommended Turkey Choke for Rem 1187 SM >

Recommended Turkey Choke for Rem 1187 SM

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Recommended Turkey Choke for Rem 1187 SM

Old 01-05-2013, 09:18 AM
Spike

Default Recommended Turkey Choke for Rem 1187 SM

I just got a new Remington 11-87 3.5” super mag with a 23” turkey barrel that came with a Remington Turkey Super Full Choke tube. I don’t know the constriction of this tube and have not shot through it yet.

I’m looking for the best choke tube for turkey hunting for this set up. I have never shot the new hevi-shot type loads but may plan on switching to them this year. I typically shoot size #4 or #5 lead shot out of a 3.5” shell. If I do go to one of the new hevi-shot loads like Federal Heavyweight, Heavy-13, or Nitro I would consider size #6 or even #7 1/2 shot.

I’ve read about the following choke tube brands and have heard some good about all of them:

Briley
Indian Creek
Pure Gold
Rhino
Comp-n-Choke
Jelly Head

What I can’t afford to do is buy a multiple tubes and try each out with different loads so I was hoping that I could get some good recommendations based on past experience here.

Maybe my current factory Remington tube will work just fine for what I’m looking for but I don’t know if it’s safe for hevi-shot or not…?

I understand the tighter constriction, the tighter the pattern should be. I don’t want the tightest pattern in the world because I get many close shot opportunities as well. But I’d like something that has a pattern larger than a grapefruit at 20 yards and also holds a good pattern at maybe 40-50 yards.

Any recommendations or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
Old 01-05-2013, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey man before you give up on that factory choke... Try puttin a 3.5" win hv #5's threw it... You might be plesently surprised... I've taken gobblers at over 50 yards with that combo...
Old 01-05-2013, 09:32 AM
JW
Super Moderator

I use a Carlson .665 in my 12 Ga Remignton 11-87 and shoot 3" Winchester Supremes - #4 copper plated. I stopped using 3.5" rounds as they don't give you any more range at all.

This set-up has taken numerous turkeys.

JW
Old 01-05-2013, 10:51 AM
Spike

The best patterns I have found using hevishot was with kicks chokes and hevishots choke both work good. Hevishot should be fine out of factory chokes, but you will get a bit more out of the shell with a different choke. If I were you I would pattern your factory choke first before deciding to switch to something else.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:09 AM
Spike

I would also recommend a Carlson's choke tube. They are great chokes for their price. If you're not in a rush, Cabela's usually has them on sale around the spring time.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use the same Carlson tube that JW mentioned with the same shell in 2 3/4" with #5 or #6s and out to 45 yards they're DRT.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:33 PM
Spike

You forgot one that i use and works extremely well The Undertaker . I switch out my bird barrel for my smooth bore slug barrel and top it out with my Undertaker choke ive taken birds out to 55 yrds stone dead . It works well in a blind being shorter .
GE
Old 01-06-2013, 06:33 AM
Spike

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm going to have to see what this factory tube can do as far as pattern. Does anybody know what constriction a rem factory turkey super full choke is?
Old 01-06-2013, 08:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Remington lists that choke at .665 constriction, which doesn't seem that tight to me for what they call it. However, that's the constriction my Carlson has and it shoots tighter patterns than another one (can't remember who made it) I started with that is marked as .645. That shows that tighter isn't always best.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 01-06-2013 at 08:16 AM.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I, as well as others have said. won't throw that factory tube in a drawer till you put it on paper first. I have a Moss. Turkey Tactical with the factory turkey tube and it prints the most devastating patterns I have ever seen out to 50yds!!!! I use Hevi-Shot, Hevi-13's and Winch. Supreme. Just try different types and shot sizes and see what it holds first.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.