Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Recommended Turkey Choke for Rem 1187 SM >

Recommended Turkey Choke for Rem 1187 SM

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Recommended Turkey Choke for Rem 1187 SM

Old 01-06-2013, 08:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

You mentioned Federal Heavy weight shells. Be aware that those shells use a flight control wad that is not intended for use with ported chokes or chokes that are designed to strip the wad away from the shot. It's not a safety issue or anything but you won't get the patterns you are looking for using the wrong type choke with those shells.

You can spend a lot of money tinkering with different stuff and each gun is an entity unto itself as to what it shoots best. But I'd bet you dollars to donuts that if you just went ahead and got some Hevi-13 6's and your pick of an Indian Creek, Hevishot, Rhino, or Jellyhead choke you would be so pleased with the results it would save you a lot of experimenting and maybe even money in the long run.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:05 PM
Fork Horn

For Federal loads with the Flite Control Wad

Trulock unported .650 Precision Hunter

For all other loads

Primos Jellyhead .660

Gman
Old 01-08-2013, 01:33 PM
Spike

I would recommend the HeviShot turkey choke. I shoot an SX3 and when I went from the factory tube to the HeviShot tube my pattern tightened up a good deal. I shoot the Hevi-13 in #6 and have also used the Magnum Blend, both pattern well.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:34 AM
Spike

Thanks for all the responses. I'm going to see what the factory tube can do with Hevi13's and go from there. Maybe I can save myself some coin.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know if I'd use the factory choke with hevi shot unless it says on choke that it is rated for hevi shot...

I would just shoot copper plated lead threw it...
Old 01-14-2013, 10:47 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by SecondChance
I, as well as others have said. won't throw that factory tube in a drawer till you put it on paper first. I have a Moss. Turkey Tactical with the factory turkey tube and it prints the most devastating patterns I have ever seen out to 50yds!!!! I use Hevi-Shot, Hevi-13's and Winch. Supreme. Just try different types and shot sizes and see what it holds first.
X2 Sometimes youll be surprised.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot that rig with a HS undertaker hevi shot tube and it patterns great!