Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Blind vs the ground

Old 07-28-2012, 08:20 PM
Spike

Default Blind vs the ground

This is going to be my first year turkey hunting and im going to be hunting a wooded area with a water source very close.The area has a lot of hills.What do you guys think blind or stick to the ground.
Old 07-29-2012, 02:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like being mobile so I say ground...
Old 07-29-2012, 07:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

The blind will conceal your movement but it will also cut down on your vision and hearing.I'd stick to the ground.
Old 07-29-2012, 12:23 PM
Spike

I have only hunted turkeys for three years and for the first two i hunted the ground. I had success both years on the ground and for my third year i used a blind and decoys. I used the carry light pretty boy and pretty girl but i was in the middle of a field with the blind. If you are restricted to wooded hunting only i would just stick to ground hunting
Old 07-29-2012, 05:03 PM
Spike

I would stick to the ground..you are able to hear and see better.. also you can move around easier
Old 07-29-2012, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator

Well the first thing Id do is scout the area. Id get the turkey patterns down. Ive done both and have been successful at both. I hunt in a blind anymore, but Im always mobile and have my vest with a seat to be able to go whenever I want. I say if ya know your area and the turkey patterns a blind is the way to go. Now if you run and gun the blind is not the way to go.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator

Great advice Arrowmaster. I often hunt the morning from a blind. It gives me the chance to relax a bit more, and movement is not so much an issue. They are turkeys, and even though you may have patterned them, they will not always be where you want them. Which means you will need to run n gun them. I always have my vest with seat attached, and I will always carry a half blind with me. They roll up small and carry easily in your vest, set-up is quick, and gives you about 2ft of blind to hide behind. If you are hunting in the timber, carry two. One in front and one behind.

Remember,,,, If you choose to use a blind,,, Never open cross windows,, as the birds will be able to see your silhouette movement inside the blind.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am a run-n-gun type turkey hunter for the most part. Doing a good job of scouting is always wise, and absolutely essential if you are going to restrict yourself to a difficult to relocate ground blind or two. If and when I need a "blind", I'll cut a branch or two and stick them in the ground as a "cover". Works pretty good .... most of the time.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:27 PM
Fork Horn

I'm a run and gun type hunter, so if the birds are gobbling, I move a lot and try to strike one. If the birds are henned up, and I know a likely strutting spot, I'll sit in a blind all morning hoping one shows up. It's boring, so I take a book, but at least I can fidget without worrying about getting busted. We are cursed with a declining turkey population, so that may be my strategy for a few years.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

How much land do you have???

If you are huting 25 acres, it's hard to run and gun...You'll have those
turkeys busted up within a week...

Both ways work, just depends upon the situation...

Frankly as a new hunter, I think a blind will help...I know guys that always
run and gun when they would be better off sitting tight and calling occasionally...

I love to run and gun but over the last few years it seems like I've doing more blind
sitting and more hunting during the middle of the day...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.