Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

How long to sit?

Old 04-25-2012, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator

Default How long to sit?

What do I do if I'm hunting a property I know has turkeys but I am not hearing them? My first time out for this year will be this coming saturday morning. Basically, If I'm not hearing any gobbles, should I move, or stay put and hope for the best? The property is several hundred acres with several good places to set up. If I should move, how long should I stay put before moving?
Thanks!
-Jake
Old 04-25-2012, 05:17 PM
Fork Horn

One of the rules of turkey hunting is:

If you think it is time to get up and move to a different spot,
stay put for another half hour or so.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:42 PM
Super Moderator

I had this happen to me in Missouri this year. I had 8 turkeys walking the ridge in a field. There was 3 longbeards 3 jakes 2 hens. They fed out of site and I thought they crossed the road nope wasnt the case. I saw them again and they did the same again. well the Jakes left and 1 longbeard left, well the hens picked up 3 more hens and they were headed my way. To make aa long story short the hens finally worked their way to me and my buddy and we doubled killed. That hunt took 5 hours to come together. dont move
Old 04-26-2012, 02:07 PM
Fork Horn

If you have scouted the property thoroughly beforehand then you know you are sitting where you are because you concluded it is the best place and there will be turkeys there.
Knowing your Turkeys will help you stay where you're confident they will come.
Now if you hear gobbling towards a certain area that you know you can go and set up without getting busted, that will be a good reason to move.
Another reason not to move is when you have already been calling from where you are sitting.The birds may not answer but they know you are there. It's frustrating to set up in another place where you can see where you were previously and watch birds going there instead of your present location.
GOOD LUCK
louie
Old 04-26-2012, 11:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Depends on your style. I'm a stay put er.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator

Can I use a locator call at night?? Like if I go out after dark the night before, will they respond? That way I know where to set up for fly down in the AM
-Jake
Old 04-27-2012, 01:14 PM
Typical Buck

the first day i hunted this season i set up on a high spot in a 3-mile long creek. I could not hunt very close to where they were roosting but they do travel alot on the side of the fence that i could hunt. Long story short i was able to stay in the blind all day and watched where they went all day. It payed off when it came time to set back up the next day after work for an evening hunt.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:20 PM
Spike

find the place where turkeys spend alot of time, then spend alot of time there, you'll see action.

Last edited by donnajm77; 04-27-2012 at 07:23 PM.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:05 AM
Super Moderator

Nothing this morning. Had nine deer within 30 yards throughout the morning tho, so enjoyed watching them. I did hear some, but on the neighboring property. Back out for a while tomorrow morning before church. O, I got hailed on 3x too. A good morning.
-Jake
Old 04-28-2012, 06:03 PM
Typical Buck

I have sat for 4 hours with luck and 10 min with luck who knows how long is too long!
Treebeard