Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Any other hunters worried about the upcoming season? >

Any other hunters worried about the upcoming season?

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Any other hunters worried about the upcoming season?

Old 04-15-2012, 08:29 PM
Spike

Default Any other hunters worried about the upcoming season?

With the start of turkey hunting just around the corner, I'm getting very excited. I've been practicing with my calls, just shot my turkey gun, and did as much scouting as possible (I'm a college student). One thing that worries me is the abnormal weather we've had. Anyone else worried that the turkey's started heating up earlier due to the weather? And also the visibility and travel will be muted by all of the undergrowth. I'm excited but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good Luck!
Old 04-16-2012, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

We can do nothing about the weather,but we can change our tactics accordingly based upon the conditions we hunt in. If it rains hard I get a blind set up in the hope it will stop if even for an hour like last year so I can have a chance at a bird. We had thunder,lightning,pouring rain and high winds the night before the youth opener in Indiana last year.I set a blind up the night before in drizzle and got up at 5:00 to get there by daylight. It poured for the first 2 1/2 hours,but it stoped for an hour or so and at once we had 3 strutters,3 Jakes and 6 hens before us soaked to the bone trying to dry off. Could not get the strutters in close just the Jakes so we passed.No bird that day but if we had not faced the weather we would have missed that brief action in the morning. High winds hit a week later with warm temps,me and my Buddy worked hard to get one all morning no luck.He wanted to call it quits but I said lets try one thing before calling it quits,he agreed even in 30 mph gust maybe 40 at times. We worked our way through a briar thicket got covered with ticks and thorn pricks but got into an area undetected,called and heard nothing.
We used the terrian to work our way over to an area we had seen them 2 days straight,popped up over a 5 foot ditch and bingo 2 Toms caught off guard,the high wind let us get close. My Buddy busted the big one but I missed the smaller bird. The end result was a 22 lbs. 10 inch beard and 1 1/2 spur Tom in the pouch of my Turkey vest.
The bottom line is no matter what the weather does you can at times use it to your advantage and adapt and overcome the elements to get a Tom and get rid of a tag. Good Hunting to ya,a give it all you got and have fun! Go to my photo album and enjoy the birds taken after the hard work was done.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:19 AM
Spike

Tomorrow is suppose to be my first day out, but 85* is making me have second tboughts.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:59 PM
Typical Buck

Our opening weekend had hot and humid temps high winds and thunderstorms. I havent heard a single gobble or seen a single turkey since opening day. I sure hope this cooler weather will get them fired up again
Old 04-16-2012, 06:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

I am not overly worried about it as I enjoy getting out there. I am a bit concerned though that the breeding will be done early. They had started up here almost a full month early. The green grass is coming up everywhere right now and I can only have a little hope that they will still be at it. I do still have a couple of spots in mind though and will be setting out my blind some time during the weekend. I am thinking maybe they will be used to it by the time our season opend..
Old 04-16-2012, 06:14 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Weather nah - a good day hunting is better than......and I have shot them in blizzards to downpours to nice sunny hot to over cast and cool.......tho I will take over cast and cool any day.......

JW
Old 04-17-2012, 02:38 AM
EFH
Typical Buck

Don't worry guys! We're a month into our HOT season and it was really green when season came in. Our opening weekend was 85 and 86 with a low around 56. I didn't know how it was going to work out, but it's just been like every other turkey season. You just have a little more to hide in. The woods look like its in the middle of summer, if you hear a bird he's closer than you think, but aren't they always! Lol!! Good luck to you all, think your season will be fine! Go lay em down!!
Old 04-17-2012, 06:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm wondering if breeding took place early too. I've seen them strutting since February. If they started breeding early I wonder if the hens will be sitting earlier too keeping the Toms from being henned up? Don't know, I'll have to wait until next Thursday to check it out.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by RIStrutStopper
I'm wondering if breeding took place early too. I've seen them strutting since February. If they started breeding early I wonder if the hens will be sitting earlier too keeping the Toms from being henned up? Don't know, I'll have to wait until next Thursday to check it out.
Fewer hens more lonely Toms,sounds good to me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.