HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Any other hunters worried about the upcoming season?
Old 04-16-2012, 09:16 AM
doetrain
Nontypical Buck

We can do nothing about the weather,but we can change our tactics accordingly based upon the conditions we hunt in. If it rains hard I get a blind set up in the hope it will stop if even for an hour like last year so I can have a chance at a bird. We had thunder,lightning,pouring rain and high winds the night before the youth opener in Indiana last year.I set a blind up the night before in drizzle and got up at 5:00 to get there by daylight. It poured for the first 2 1/2 hours,but it stoped for an hour or so and at once we had 3 strutters,3 Jakes and 6 hens before us soaked to the bone trying to dry off. Could not get the strutters in close just the Jakes so we passed.No bird that day but if we had not faced the weather we would have missed that brief action in the morning. High winds hit a week later with warm temps,me and my Buddy worked hard to get one all morning no luck.He wanted to call it quits but I said lets try one thing before calling it quits,he agreed even in 30 mph gust maybe 40 at times. We worked our way through a briar thicket got covered with ticks and thorn pricks but got into an area undetected,called and heard nothing.
We used the terrian to work our way over to an area we had seen them 2 days straight,popped up over a 5 foot ditch and bingo 2 Toms caught off guard,the high wind let us get close. My Buddy busted the big one but I missed the smaller bird. The end result was a 22 lbs. 10 inch beard and 1 1/2 spur Tom in the pouch of my Turkey vest.
The bottom line is no matter what the weather does you can at times use it to your advantage and adapt and overcome the elements to get a Tom and get rid of a tag. Good Hunting to ya,a give it all you got and have fun! Go to my photo album and enjoy the birds taken after the hard work was done.