Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Ticks! Ticks! Ticks!

Old 04-12-2012, 03:29 AM
Spike

Default Ticks! Ticks! Ticks!

Hey everyone, with such a mild winter up here in the northeast the ticks are relentless this year. So i was thinking if eveyrone wanted to share some tips, facts, tecniques, removal, and products that help us stay away from the little parasite.

So basically put up anything that you think is pertinent to Ticks it can be anything but its great to have it all in one place to view. And i figured with turkey season right around the bend there's no better time to talk about it now. Because in 2 weeks give or take we'll be laying there with them for a couple hours everyday.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:38 AM
Super Moderator

I really like to use No Stinkin Ticks. Been using it for 4 years and have only had 2 ticks on me. One of them this year. My buddy though had over 40 on him after 1 evening hunt last friday. I think Sawyer tick spray has the same chemical so it should be good as well.

The only down side is you don't spray in on your skin. Only treat clothing and boots. You could however get some 40% deet spray and use that in conjuction with the other. I might give that a try the rest of the year since it has been so bad.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Sawyer product is my go to tick spray,never go into the woods without it on all my outer gear and clothes. I use skin so soft on my body as a second layer of protection.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use Repel. Same stuff as Sawyers. That works pretty well. I have heard of a few tips that may help someone out, actually verified one of them works. After being in the woods, take a lint roller (the kind with the sticky tape) and go over your clothes. Ticks will stick to it. I have tried this and it works. Grabbed a few ticks I didn't know were there. Another tip is to wrap your cuffs nice and tight with duct tape sticky side out. When the ticks crawl up your legs/wrists they will get stuck. I have heard people say this works but I've never personally tried it.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:30 AM
Spike

Wow that thing about the duct tape sounds pretty smart i bet that does work. Is Sawyers something that's sold everywhere i have never heard of it I always got Repel/Off Deep Woods? Maybe that's not quite as good. The other thing I was wondering and maybe someone has the answer to this is why is this year way worse than any other year. I went out unprotected yesterday with just jeans and work boots and i got inside i had about 10 on my pants and 3 up my sleeves. I mean i can remember getting one or two in the past but never like this. And after you find one it feels like you can feel them all over.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:44 AM
Typical Buck

The chemical in those products is permethrin. I've always been able to find Sawyer brand at Diick's. Repel sells it as Permanone. It works on clothing, but I still use a deet-based product on my skin. The combination works pretty well.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Permethrin or permanone...treat your clothes, socks, boots. I haven't pulled a tick off of me all year here in TN. My buddies have, but not me. When you treat your gear, treat it well. I like to get it damp with the spray the night before and leave them laying outside before putting them on the next morning. Lasts a pretty good while too.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I always wear light colored clothing under my leaf bug suit,if any get past my outer defenses I spot them right away.I wear volley ball length grey socks and tuck my under layer into them this makes it impossible for them to get in down low.Of course all this is pre treated with Sawyer product.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks for all the great info.. Ticks up here are supposed to be bad this year as well. I had one bite me last week while checking a trailcam. That is the first time I have ever had one bite me. I have only use fly dope up here for those blackflies and mosquitoes..
Old 04-12-2012, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, I just sprayed down my clothes, vest, boots with the permethrin for this weekend. I really like the Repel version, but it has been hard to find, so I started using the Sawyer version. I have used this for several years with good results. I didn't spray down my boots one time and found six ticks on my legs. When I spray down my clothes, no ticks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.