Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

roost shooting

Old 04-11-2012, 06:50 PM
Typical Buck

I always hunt public lands and do my very best to get away from the crowds, I almost never even see or hear another hunter, I do however think it has been easy to tell the difference between a hen talking and another hunter calling to a gobbler.
I have never gone after another hunters turkey, one it's unethical and two I prefer to live another day.
When I first started out I hunted Ft. Carson, lots of birds and crazes. I had my decoy shot from a road shooter illegal here, (DOW came out and I was a legal distance from the road) 3 times hunters came into my setups to intercept the gobbler coming in and two of those times it was the guy that shot the hen of the roost.
I left that dangerous place and never looked back.
I agree if something is legal it's legal but legal ain't always ethical.
Roost shooters
Get away from other hunters and give yourself a chance to give the turkeys a fare chase.
Your in control of your choices not the other hunters in the area, If you found one you'll find another.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:12 PM
Spike

Well the purpose of turkey huntin is to fool or call a gobbler to you not in all cases. There are some cases, where woodsmenship and stealth come into play. And not so much of the calling part. I have no problem with anyone slipping in on a stubborn tom or a silent one. Basically getting into position for a pass by/ ambush. Not a damn thing wrong with that. But taking a gobbler off the limb is no different than jackin a deer with a spotlight. Pure and out right laziness. Or the mr. Trophy hunter wannabe trying to make a name. Where is the satisfaction for one. And how are you suppose to learn the game doin that crap? I've been a turkey hunter for nearly 3 decades. And I can promise you I have had many gobblers roosted and knew the tree and limb they were on, in some cases. I love smoking turkeys like anyone else. But even if I had a bad season. It would be a cold day in hell before id take a longbeard that way. Those that do good luck prospering as a turkey hunter. Not hard to to shoot em off the limb. And why bother wearing Camo, buying turkey loads, or burning vacation if your Shootin em that way. Another don't let me catch ya in my properties I hunt. Do I feel strongly about this type of stuff? Yeah I do.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

hunters shouldnt be bashing hunters. we all spend the money to pursue a quarry.
I agree with you, but, it does make for some good reading though..

i would never shoot one off the roost but that is a decision i have made. i will not bash another guy if he so chooses to shoot one if it is legal for him to do so.
I can only say in this state no one can legaly shoot a turkey in a tree.. Regardless of the time of day/night it is..I see no reason to bash anyone if they can do that legaly and so chooses to.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

RR you been drinking ? wow now your starting to sound like Ol Longbeard
Old 04-12-2012, 05:54 AM
Typical Buck

RR
You have to kick it up a bit and get out of the same old area everyone knows about LOL Hunt during the week, get in the woods earlier etc.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yea, and make sure to put on your body armor and eye protection if that county where you hunt is as bad as you say it is!
Old 04-12-2012, 12:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

I can't imagine hunting longbeards where they very seldom gobble because that, to me, is the whole fun of hunting them and hearing them sound off. I guess if it's legal and you want to eat turkey and have no other way or area to go to you do what you have to do. It's just not my style though!
Old 04-13-2012, 10:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

They just don't gobble where I am able to hunt due to pressure from a high population of bald eagles. so your choices are, take advantage of opprotunities for an ambush, stay home, or move.
I have had my problems like all on here when trying to get a turkey to answer a call. We have eagles, foxes, coyote, bobcats, canadian lynx, redtail hawks, and ect.. They are pressured and moving almost all the time. We have enough eagles here that the state has delisted them to just a protected status. So hunting them can be hard in my part of the country and we still get birds.As well as a fact that our area had it's first turkey season just last year. So that actually means that our turkey numbers here are not all that high. At no time can we shoot one out of a tree legally and we are content with that. So again if it is legal and you wish to shoot one like that then go for it. But do not use predators as a reason to do this.. Here is a pic of an eagles nest that is not that far from where I choose to hunt turkey at..

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 04-13-2012 at 10:54 AM.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

In cases such as this where a "legal" method may run against what others have been taught or set for them selves as "ethical and fair-chase" .... as many have posted, it becomes nothing more complicated than a matter of choice. In my case I will not shoot a turkey off a roost. But I'll bust one in a heart beat if he leaves the roost and ends up within gun range, even if he decises to alite in a tree ... on a log ... a fence ... a stump, etc. I will add not once in 40+ years of hunting has one done that.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

First of all I am not an expert as well as no bird watcher.. Nice pic by the way.. It is not uncommon to see over a hundred eagles lined up along a friend's field during times of heavey snow fall. At the same time he has to go out and shoot a turkey every once in a while to get the turkeys out of his grain silage. So explain this to me again will yah? The eagles are there to get what scraps are thrown out from his butcher shop/ slaughter house. So if eagles are so damaging why would the turkeys go across the field to get to his silos? There is no doubt in my mind that eagles will in fact take a few turkeys from time to time however. I am saying that they do not bother them that bad here!

But do take time to reconize this quote from what I stated..

So again if it is legal and you wish to shoot one like that then go for it.
Just do not blame it on other reasons.. We also have 5 eagle nests with in a 10 mile radius here.. All of which are located near water such as lakes and rivers,, Which is where the biggest food source for eagles is located at..

To save an arguement I have never claimed to be any expert on turkey hunting or any other form of hunting. I just enjoy it and get a lot of tips where ever I can. Including right here and the folks here have helped me out quite a bit. I do wish though " that I could meet up with someone that realy and truely knows it all " I should be able to get a lot of insite from that meeting..

Last edited by Phil from Maine; 04-14-2012 at 10:45 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.