Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Sunday Morning Gobbler

Old 03-26-2012, 10:13 AM
Spike

Talking Sunday Morning Gobbler

Saturday I hunted all day long and probably put about 5 or 6 miles worth of walking in. Saw a ton of gobblers, but they were all henned up and could care less about my calling. Sunday morning, NO birds gobbled off the roost. Heard one at about 8 and got him to start talking to me but he shut up and never would come in. I walked across a pond dam to another big field and belly crawled about 200 yards up to the edge. There were two big gobblers strutting about 150 yards away out in the field. They were stuck like glue to a hen. I called a little and they refused to pay any attention. I decided to sneak away and I stalked down through a creek and through tons of little pines to try and get close enough to shoot. Ended up getting about 50 yards away, but the hen was on the edge of the field instead of out in it, and the gobblers wouldn't come out far enough from the edge to give me a shot. They ended up following the hen down a firebreak, and I snuck through the thick stuff trying to get ahead of them. I didn't get ahead, but I got 30 yards behind them. I belly crawled out into the firebreak and let this one have it. Couldn't be happier with my second turkey!

Sunday Morning Gobbler-small.jpg

Last edited by buckdropper7; 03-26-2012 at 10:19 AM.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

There's more than one way to skin a cat!

I've shot a few that way. I resist the urge now though, as I have more fun trying to get them to come to calling.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Its all about woodsman ship and success follows. Not all the time they come running but if you can still out do them eyes, its all that counts...

Congrats
Old 03-26-2012, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats! Way to stay after them!
Old 03-26-2012, 12:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Now thats Hunting for a Turkey,good job. Sometimes you must get aggressive and it sounds like your hard hunting paid good dividends,a bird in the bag!
Old 03-27-2012, 06:07 AM
Spike

Man you earnd that thunder chicken! Good job and keep at it. Sounds like your going to have a great season!
Old 03-27-2012, 09:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

That a way...............GREAT job !

That's what they call hunting alright, Conrats !!!
Old 03-27-2012, 05:29 PM
Typical Buck

Way to stick with it congrats!
Old 03-27-2012, 11:11 PM
Spike

Well done!!! Only two ways to go when they aren't gobbling. Sit and call and wait or go on the attack. Lol! It takes quite a degree of skill and slinking along to get close enough for a shotlike that. Congrats!