Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Tips for a beginner Eastern turkey hunter >

Tips for a beginner Eastern turkey hunter

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Tips for a beginner Eastern turkey hunter

Old 03-19-2012, 08:33 PM
Spike

Default Tips for a beginner Eastern turkey hunter

I'm looking to get into turkey hunting but im looking for advice and tips for hunting Eastern turkeys (south central ky). What kind of call do you recommend that would be easy to master? What kind of set up should i use? Should i use a blind?

I've located some turkeys that i've seen around the same area the last few weeks.

Also, i have a Remington 870. What is the best choke and ammo i could use?
Old 03-19-2012, 08:40 PM
Spike

bump for some good answers
Old 03-20-2012, 03:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

A box call may be the easiest call to start with. Just remember to put it down and get your hands back on your gun after you call. Blinds can work great, but for a guy just starting I say just use natural cover and be sure to eliminate your silhouette by getting against a tree that is at least as wide as your shoulders. Try to stay in a shadow.

Go on a few hunts and try to figure out where the birds are travelling. Adjust your hunts so you are putting yourself near where they want to go anyway. Don't call more than about every 10 - 15 minutes, and don't think there are no birds just because they don't gobble. Many will come in silent.

Listen to what the live hens are doing, and call like they are.

I use Winchester Super X 3" #6's in a standard full choke and keep shots to about 35 yds at most. I recommend you use at least a full choke. I don't know what Turkey choke should work with an 870, but you should be OK with an X full and #6 Turkey loads. Be sure to pattern the gun.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

6 shot with a good full choke will serve you well. Slate or box calls are easy to learn, the mouth calls are a little harder but for most it can be learned well enough to do clucks and cutting hen sounds.The mouth calls free your hands up and give the impression that there are multiple birds calling. If it's not raining I would use natural cover like Uncle Norby said the blind is OK for a bow hunter but you will enjoy being up against a tree in the open,your senses get in to it fuller,sight,sounds,feel and smell.I love tucking into a spot were the shade is during your hunt not in light or full sun.Guessing which way they will come from is something you learn but it's not full proof,they tend to flank me when I think they will come at my decoys after hearing them.Just get out there and take advantage of this site for info on tactics,trial and error will be your teacher if you don't have an expienced hunter to guide you through the process.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:28 AM
Spike

I agree with the above. If your just starting out hunt em Out of a blind before you hunt out of blinds. You will get the experience in full affect. I have used blinds for several years now. But you will learn some good skills being mobile where safe.. And there are a majority of my hunts each spring, where a blind is not feasible. You will learn better by making a mistake here and there. And one other thing persistence kills turkeys. Best of luck to ya. Very addictive sport. Lol!